P2443 error code

Got that (and a blinking cruise control light) yesterday morning. Read and cleared the code last night. This morning all normal.

It is one of the air pump valves sticking. Some folks claim it might just be from condensation.

I don't like this. Some folks have had warranty claims refused for fixing this system. There are also 'delete' kits for the hardware - but you need engine management soft/firmwar to delete the error codes. I think the ystem is only active for a few minutes to heat up the catalytic converter during cold starts.

sigh - maybe it won't come back. Supposedly, one side is VERY difficult to work on. parts are $$$$$ too.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

you are correct in your statements except that it will come back on. One of the valves (i believe the one with the sensors in it) is a PITA to change. I have seen the motor seize up due to moisture. it is a poor design.

Reply to
StephenH

Not good news. Do you happen to know if in Texas it is covered under the emissions warranty? I've read it may vary by State. Also, are replacement parts designed better? Is there a TSB on this?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I don't know how the warranty applies: I just work on them.

It gets confusing reading the codes and deciding what valve it is. Mostly replacing the valves has fixed them; not sure if there is any design changes. Had one where we replaced the motor and it failed and was replaced again under warranty again. No tsb as I know of.

Reply to
StephenH

Yeah, just about the time I decided that both sides of the engine were being called Bank 1, along comes this code that says Bank 2.

thanx for the info!

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Yep, my CEL came back on when I left work yesterday. I haven't actually scanned the DTC but I'm sure my 'friend' has returned.

ugh. Wish we knew if the parts have been redesigned. hate to think this is just gonna come back in 4 years.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

(we) thought that it was more a Oregon thing due to our moisture levels; but seem to see others from other areas now. So far, no repaired car has come back. They moved the air motor on later versions and with the new legacy, I believe it has been removed (turbo under the engine) Overall, non of us techs will own a turbo Subaru.The problems we see, not often but occasionally, make us not want it on our cars. Extra work removing engine, several shelled turbo's due to oil problems-some on cars with all oil changes documented at our shop (under 30,000) and the air valves. Oh, there are fun, but risky.

Reply to
StephenH

I don't think I have the screen in the supply to the turbo (mine's an

06) BUT, I dunno about screens going to the AVCS system?

Can you tell me if the 2443 code is on the passenger side or on the drivers side? That might help me determine if I want to ttry the replacement myself.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

:
:

checked the books, 2443 is bank 2 and that is the left bank. this is the easy valve to change.

Reply to
StephenH

te:

te:

THANX!

I think both valves are on the same side, but one of them seems to involve removal of the intake manifold. Another source also indicated the offending valve for my 2443 code is the easier one.

I still haven't decided what to do, but am strongly leaning towards getting the whole Tactrix cable/ECU flash/romraider set-up and just delete the 14 or so codes associated with the system. Then, in spring, maybe fix or possibly delete it. I need to pass inspection ath the first of the year. I never intended to go the 'tuner' route, but that seems to be the easiest/quickest/cheapest solution.

I'm gonna take another look at that valve and try to find a price for it.

thanx again - your a great resource for us here!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

:
:

rote:

rote:

At present, I have experienced and cleared the code several times. It DOES appear to be the valve. I have confirmed the pump runs and I have swapped the 'air cut' relays and the code remains P2443. I am going to monitor the number of starts/miles before it actually turns on the MIL. It MAY be possible for me to pass inspection with a 'pending' code. I see no reason not to try. I just need to read the status to discover if the monitors will complete BEFORE the pending code sets the light.

I figure, worst thing that happens is, i fail inspection and go back to Plan B - the ECU re-flash.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

------------------------------------- Hi All. I am one of the lucky ones that bought a turbo before I read this post. That said, I have the following error codes: P0410, P0148, P2431, P2432, P2433, P2344. I have already paid 80.00 to get this info and was told that it would cost 600.00 in parts and labor for replacement of the secondary ari combination valve. But he can't guaranteed that this will fix it. Any suggestions? I like this mechanic but he isn't an authorized Subaru dealer.

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.subaru - 31854 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
pcoats

I have a tactrix cable on the way, I downloaded ecuflash and will download Romraider soon.

I also have a copy of a very helpful post at nasioc that will guide me to disable the codes associated with this system.

you will probably need to sign in/register to view it. If this ends up working for me, I will report back. It may be a several days as I will be busy during the holiday.

fyi

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I have a Tactrix cable ordered, hasn't arrived yet. Seems the USPS is very slow.

I THINK I have all the software downloaded. Some 'definitions'/w'ever have to be installed. I d'loaded the files but haven't ran any of the programs yet. Hope I can sort it all out when the time comes.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Well, the first Tactrix shipment was 'lost' so, thye sent out a replacement. I got it friday and today I downloaded my stock ECU Rom image, modified it to delete the 15 codes that are associated with the Secondary Air (air cut) System and re-wrote the new image. So far - everythings seems OK. I guess I'll know more in a coupla days when the car has had a few start-cycles and I take it in for inspection.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Passed state inspection just fine. No other issues at all.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan