Help with '05 Outback error code 'ER55'

I've got a new problem that happened for the first time today. This is a 2005 Outback 2.5i with about 36,000 miles. Everything was fine yesterday. We had heavy snow/sleet overnight. Went to start this morning and got a weird cranking sound and engine wouldn't fire. After a few tries, with the gas pedal fully depressed, it started. The Check Engine and ABS lights were on steady, the Cruise light was blinking and there was an 'ER 55' displayed on the odometer. It was running ok at this point. After 4-5 start cycles all the lights are off and the ER 55 is gone. Does anyone know what all this means? If it cleared itself, does that mean it was a temporary glitch in the matrix and now all is well? TIA for any input. Joe

Reply to
Joe