Re: Blue Grease? Inside Wheel Well

Just returned from a 400 mile trip with my '01 Forester. As I went to

> wash it, I noticed a blue grease, (no, not windshield washer solvent) > not an excessive amount in my passenger side wheel well. First instinct > was to check the CV joint boot, everything looked fine, no slits or > abrasions, suspension and bottom of engine were also dry. Also noticed > that this grease ran almost the entire length of the under carriage on > the passenger side. Could I have just picked this up on the road, or can > this be something to be concerned about? TIA > > Dan Geraci

Pin hole in CV boot?

Bill Putney

Don't think it was a pinhole in the CV boot, was completely dry and clean when I checked it. Anyone know what color the front wheel bearing grease is from the factory? (2001 Forester)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Geraci

If it were front wheel grease, you would see some evidence of it coming out around the hub and on the inside of the wheel/tire. If, as you say, it is all along the whole length of the underside of the vehicle, then I would guess it came from something on the road. I don't know about your Forester, but the last couple Subies front wheels I have worked on have had cassette bearings (two in each wheel) and they just don't contain very much grease, not enough to spread very much on the underside of the vehicle.

Reply to
nItpIk

Just took it out for a spin to see if I could find any more traces or source for grease - did a tweny mile jaunt at high speed, did several sharp turns, no trace of any more mystery blue grease. CV boot, suspension, inside of wheel are clean, no noises or vibrations. Leads me to believe that it was something I picked up on the road. Will still keep an eye on it, would rather err on the side of caution.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Geraci

Dan,

I have a lot of highway construction going on around my neighborhood, and they are pouring concrete for curbs etc. They grease their forms to keep the concrete from sticking, and also tend to overgrease their construction equipment. Needless to say, I've had grease in my wheelwells and all down the side of my WRX. Quite nasty. Blue grease suggests waterproof grease.

Reply to
Bud