rear bearings

I think I've read about rear bearings going before on this group.

I replaced both rear bearings on my 2003 OBS at about 90k kms. I'm at

146k now and I can hear the bearings again. Why only 55k this time? The bearings were done by a 3rd party shop last time. Is there a difference in parts? Any suggestions / comments? It cost me about $700cdn last time.

Chicobiker

Reply to
Chicobiker

Are u sure it is the bearings?

55k sounds as too low a mileage for them to fail.

Try swapping the front with the rear tires.

Good luck!

Chicobiker wrote:

Reply to
AS

It's real easy to damage the bearings during installation, especially if you don't have all of the correct adapters for your press. (Same thing applies for the fronts; _never_ pound on the axle shaft while attempting to remove it ...) This damage can be subtle (Microscopic dimples in the race and/or flat spots on the balls which grow with time. Technical term is "brinelling"; look it up.), and frequently doesn't make it's self evident for 10-20K miles. I promise you this is true; I speak from sad experience :-P

ByeBye! S.

At which time it's appropriate to leave the mechanic and see a urologist.

Sorry... couldn't resist. Very informative post actually, S!

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I had mine go at around 25k miles on an '00 Impreza. Lots of high speed driving in hot weather, which I suspect helped kill them.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

LOL Todd.

When replac> S writes:

Reply to
AS

Not sure what you mean by the hub. Can't picture it. They usually buy Subaru parts when working on my car.

Can you describe the difference?

Reply to
Chicobiker

If they got the subaru part, the bearing comes with the hub, you remove

4 bolts, take the old bearing/hub assy and put the new assy in place.

Again, are u sure the problem is not the tires?

Good luck

Chicobiker wrote:

Reply to
AS

Hi,

Yes, wheel bearings have been problematic and a subject of discussion in the past...

I have an old Toyota truck (one of the models that just keeps going and going) and I've often joked that in building that truck, Toyota scoured the world for all the "best" design ideas in the automotive world, and incorporated them. Subie followed behind and took the worst!

Ok, that might be a bit harsh, but they certainly screwed the pooch IMHO on wheel bearings. Somewhere I read that ONE of the causes of early failures had been pinpointed as faulty seals that allowed water into the bearing. Then, in earlier discussions, it was revealed that Subaru was claiming their bearings were "pre-lubed" from the factory and didn't need additional grease prior to installation. I haven't a clue how many bearings WERE installed that way, but after discussions about how little actual grease there was in these bearings, I dismissed that idea as bogus, especially after I'd bought a Subie bearing and it had little but corrosion protective grease on it.

Combine a lack of adequate grease w/ a possible incursion of water and/or dirt, and the bearing's doomed from the start. As for heat, IME a properly lubed bearing SHOULD be able to go at least 60-100k miles before needing attention (which SHOULD consist of cleaning and regreasing, NOT replacement, again IMHO only.) 40 years of driving in essentially desert conditions (heat-wise, not off road-wise) tell me a properly lubed bearing shouldn't fail from any heat we normally encounter. Again, "properly lubed" is an operative term...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

You are correct there Rick.... Subaru builds their cars with a $ sign in mind. CHEAP is where it's at. From wheel bearings that crap out at 25,000 miles and less, to underpowered alternators, to paper thin metal used in doors and hoods, to the cheapest paint known in the automotive fields it's a wonder they can sell these poorly designed cars. Phase 1 engines replaced with phase 2 that STILL blow headgaskets! A/C units that are "Wimpy" to say the least. Roof racks that leak water into the headliners and tail light assemblies that fill with water due to cheap/crappy gaskets.

The amazing part is people keep buying this shit!! But you know...VW is worse....

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

Take out "Subaru" and put the name of ANY mass produced car today in there and the same comments will apply.

Reply to
Bugalugs

Hi,

For a minute there I thought you were talking about my neighbor's Chevy... personally I can't think of ANY car built today that would meet MY specs if I were able to design and build whatever I wanted. The forces of economics have a way of doing that, as Bugalugs already mentioned.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright