Spark plug connector pulled...oil dribbles out

If you're lucky, it means the gasket on the bottom of the spark plug wasn't quite seated correctly, or some oil spilled on it while you were adding/changing oil.

If you're not lucky, it means the rings are going and a rebuild might soon be in order.

Reply to
Hachiroku

After reading the many threads here about how to change spark plugs, I thought I was prepared for anything when I lifted aside the windshield washer tank and air intake of our Forester (2001, 125K miles) and chose as the first plug to replace the forward one on the passenger side. When I plucked off the connecter, some oil spilled out. It came from what appeared to be a small space between the end of the spark plug well and the engine cover. Some of it trickled down into the spark plug well. This didn't seem right, so I cleaned it out as best I could and put everything back together pending consultation with the experts here. Can't recall anybody here saying anything about encountering oil when removing spark plug connectors. What does it mean?

-- Charles Packer

Charles Packer

On Nov 1, 9:45 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote: > If you're lucky, it means the gasket on the bottom of the spark plug

Let me clarify: the oil didn't come up from where the spark plug sits at the bottom of its well. That is, it didn't leak from around the spark plug gasket. It came from _above_ the spark plug, at the top of its well where it meets with the piece of metal that is bolted in place over the cylinders. (It's called the valve cover, I think.)

-- Charles Packer

Charles Packer

You need to replace the valve cover gaskets. The seal around the spark plug well is leaking. This is not that big a deal and the parts aren't that expensive. It's a driveway DIY if you have the tools and mechanical ability, otherwise it's couple of hours labor at a shop.

Reply to
mulder

I had oil discovered in spark plug wells and was told I needed a new valve cover gasket to correct it.

Then again, this particular mechanic turned out to be less than honest, so take this with a grain of salt.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

OK! See Mulder's comment.

I did this only on an '88 Supra, and that was a chore only because the intake (air) runs over the top of the valve covers...you have to remove all the air passages to get to them.

This should be a piece of cake.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I replaced my spark plugs and found oil in the same place a long time ago. It might have been at 100k kms or 150k kms. I have a 2003 OBS. I never did anything about it, and the next time I replaced the plugs, no oil.

I'm due for another spark plug change so I'll post my results.

Chicobiker

Reply to
Chicobiker

I'm tempted to do as you did and just replace the plugs. It just occurred to me -- duh -- that I can at least pull the plug connectors of all four plugs far enough out to inspect the situation without removing all that other harware that you have to remove to do a complete plug job.

At any rate, somebody sent me this page that has well-photographed instructions for the job:

-- Charles Packer

Charles Packer

Reply to
tom klein