Rear Diff on '92 Legacy: Bearings

When driving around town I can hear a small knocking sound coming from, what i can tell, the passenger rear corner. I inspected for movement/play in the moving suspension parts and cannot find anything unusual. However, when i grabbed ahold of the right rear CV shaft i found some play in the Differential outer bearing. I have a few questions for you all:

  1. Is it possible that this bearing can cause the "knocking" sound?
  2. How hard is it to replace these bearings?
  3. How Much do they cost?
  4. How much longer can they wait before they are replaced?

Thanks, Shaun b. Young

Reply to
wishiwasawd

unlikely that a CV joint bearing would cause a small knocking sound its usually it is very pronounced when loaded during cornering and almost unoticable when driving in a straight line jack the car up and turn the suspect wheel a worn CV will usually give an obvious clicking noise UK price for rebuilding a CV off car is around £50 ($100) another possibilty is play in the anti roll bar on my 91 Legacy it had pulled the mounting thru the lower suspension arm knocking when the washer moved up and down through the arm a small welding job but awkward Derek

Reply to
Del

In fact i do not suspect the CV joint at all. What I was asking is this: If the outer right bearing inside the differential casing has failed, could this failure cause a knock more pronounced in slight turns and bumps?

thanks, shaun

Reply to
wishiwasawd

"> > In fact i do not suspect the CV joint at all. What I was asking is

Sorry I misunderstood the drift of your question I had a look in Chiltons manual predictably it doesnt cover the diff bearings and its not a problem I have ever had through 4 toyotas and now a scooby plenty of drive shaft related wear and replacements but never (yet) a diff bearing wearing badly .I still think it sounds more outer end of the shaft type of thing as you dont get a lot of movement inboard to cause a knock I would jack it up and start moving componants about you are sure to find it sooner or later good luck anyhow Derek

Reply to
Del