Help. CV joint or bearing. Whomp whomp sound on acceleration.

Hi, Have read posts on CV joints and front wheel bearings symptoms. I'm unsure if I have a bearing or CV joint problem.

Symptoms:

- on acceleration uphill get a whomp whomp sound from front left corner. It really sounds like a separated tire tread or other tire defect. But the tire shop said there's nothing wrong with the tire which are relatively new (10,000 km). I've rotated the tires with no change in sound effect. If I stop accelerating uphill and continue at steady speed, the sound disappears. The harder the acceleration uphill, the more evident the whomp whomp sound. I hear it but wife can't hear it, so it's subtle.

- The tire shop pointed out looseness in the front wheel assembly if tire is pulled from side to side which leads me to suspect the bearing. Right side tire/wheel not as loose.

- Can't reproduce the whomp whomp sound accelerating downhill. Sound not evident when accelerating on level ground. Just on uphill pull.

- There are not the clicking sounds when turning associated with CV joint problems.

- Left outside CV boot is torn and I need to replace. I'm considering replacing the outer CV joint at same time rather than just repacking with grease. Current CV joint has about 170,000 km on it (last replaced 1993).

I'd appreciate any advice on the problem. Thanks,

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw

I forgot, you folks can't see the car from where you are. It's an '85 Golf. 250,000 km. Auto tranny.

-T> Hi,

Reply to
tonyw

Reply to
bghotrods

Reply to
bghotrods

Reply to
none2u

It depends on which way you pull as to what you are diagnosing. You might feel a loose wheel bearing one direction. You might also be feeling worn strut bearings or mountings, worn ball joints, worn tie rods or actual worn bearings. If the tire shop had their hand on 9 and

3 when they felt looseness I vote for tie rods. 12 and 6 is more likely to show wor bearings. That said I have seen some Vws with over 200,000 miles an no signs of bearing issues.
Reply to
Jim Behning

cv joint or shaft is usually an audible clicking when turning...

Reply to
Ears

I just completed replacing the wheel bearings, hubs, ball joints, tie rods, struts, coil springs, tie rod boots, control arm bushings, and various related nuts and bolts on Both sides of my 81 rabbit. Mine was making a similar noise (and had similar mileage) and I figured that I might as well renew everything while I had it disassembled. Since I did the work myself, it really didn't cost that much, especially considering that the diesel should have another 200000 miles of life. I followed the instructions in my Bently manual. If you are interested, I could tally up the parts cost so you know what to expect. Mine drives like a new one now. I did decide not to replace the CV joint as it passed my inspection. I did clean it and relubricate it and cover it with a new boot. I think that my noise was caused by the bearings. I do think that one of your symtoms (noise linked to acceleration) points to the CVJ. My whomp whomp sound only varied with speed and would continue even when the car was in neutral.

----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates!

==----

Reply to
I'm a Movie

Hi, Thanks for the tips. On the wheel bearings, did you change them yourself or bring it to a shop for their press? Bentley says use a press which I don't have access to, so will see a local shop will do it for me if I bring them the wheel bearing housing and new bearing.

. I bought the parts today, $146 CDN for wheel bearing, new outer CV joint (not a rebuilt), and new boot for inner CV joint which I figure I might as well replace at the same time. Hmm, wonder if it's the inner CV joint? Do those fail much?

I'm hoping I can preserve the wheel alignment even though I have to take the bearing housing off he struts and re-attach.

On the postings about pulling on the tire at 3 and 9 or 12 and 6 O'clock, I pulled on the top of the tire, 12 O'clock, and could feel some looseness not evident on the right side. Other than the whomp whomp, the car drives nice and tight in the front end.

Thanks all,

-T> I just completed replacing the wheel bearings, hubs, ball joints, tie

Reply to
tonyw

I purchased a pre assembled hub/bearing unit from PartsPlaceInc. All I had to do was basically bolt it on. Oh and I did have to cut a slot into the old splash sheild to fit it on the new hub assembly as the new one doesn't come with one.

I hope that your eccentric bolts are in better shape than mine. I had to replace mine ($17 each US)

----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates!

==----

Reply to
I'm a Movie

You could disassemble the hub assembly, take it down to a machine shop and have them press the bearing(s) for you.

You can detect bad front wheel bearings very easily simply by putting the vehicle into gear with the tires off the ground while you *listen* for crackling type noises where the CV joint enters the hub. You can listen using a mechanic's stethoscope or even a long screwdriver while being cautious of the moving parts. Same goes for the rear, just spin the wheels by hand.

Depending on how anal you are about your personal vehicle's alignment, you *could* get way with marking or notching the prior installed locations and re-installing in the exact same position. Technically speaking though, once removed, your prior alignment adjustments will be thrown off slightly regardless of how straight your eyes tell you your suspension is.

Reply to
Madesio

And if the wheel bearings are bad they could allow a camber change. So a wheel alignment is good to do anyway afterwards! ;-)

I usually guess which wheel bearing is bad and then double check it by removing all components off of the hub and then spin it by hand to confirm it is bad.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1