Slight "slurping" sound - 2000 OBW

My 2000 Outback wagon sometimes emits a slurping sound for the first mile or so upon acceleration. "Slurp" is the best way I can think of to describe the sound and it seems to come from the engine compartment, right in front of the driver.

I wouldn't describe it as the 'marbles in a can' sound I've read about here, describing the piston slap problem, but could it be the same? Or is it just a normal engine noise?

Ryk in Denver

Reply to
Ryk

I have no answer, but I've noticed a similar sound in my 2001 Forester lately, which I'm concerned about.

To clarify your description, the slurping sound for me sounds like the 'end of the drink' straw sucking. Like there's something blocking the free flow of a liquid. It it associated with acceleration in that it stops when the accelerator is let off.

Mine seems to stay all the time, though, as of late.

Reply to
PeterV

Hi, Did you check your powersteering fluïd? If there is not enough you will have a similar sound. (the sound will normally go away when the fluïd gets warmer, unless the level drops) grtz gj

"Ryk" schreef in bericht news:bfs6sl$i7opt$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-202066.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
gertjan

Not sure if it counts. .

My 91 Loyale makes a slurping sound when the air conditioner is on and blowing cold air. A sort of sound like water being poured down a drain. It could have something to do with the air conditioner removing the condensation from the air, but I'm not really worried about it. I don't use the A/C much anyway - usually I just open the windows.

--Decimal Cat

Reply to
Decimal Cat