03 OBW burning smell after driving in 3rd.

We have a 03 Outback wagon LL Bean 6 cil. automatic.47,000 miles. After driving it in third gear it smells like burning rubber. It was so bad at one point that another driver pointed out that smoke was coming from our car. I don't know if this is related but sometimes when it shifts you can feel a shock and hear a cluncky sound. Any ideas?

Peter

Reply to
kaasman

Doesn't your car have a 4 speed automatic transmission? How or why would you drive it in third gear? Regardless, the best idea would be to immediately take it to a mechanic before you do permanent damage to the car.

Reply to
lkreh