spark plug change-out

Does anybody have pictures or links to a site that shows how to change out the spark plugs on a 97 legacy. It appears to be a major job, is this so??

cheers

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

I am changing spark plugs on 97 Legacy without even removing Windshield washer fluid tank or air intake box. All you need is swivel adaptor and extension bar for spark plug socket. Changing spark plugs on WRX - that a challenge! Took me almost 4 hours to upgrade stock plugs to irridium.

Reply to
David Spektor

David, Can you give me a rough idea of what is involved to change the plugs on the WRX (mine is a 2002) ? Does the engine need to be lifted ? Thanks, Kelvin

Reply to
Kelvin

I changed the plugs on my 97 Legacy some time ago. It's much easier if you put your car up on ramps and go at it from the bottom. That way you don't have to remove any cables/washer fluid etc.. It's not that hard. For me, the worst part was trying to get the boots off the plugs. Once you do that, get a socket wrench with a 5 inch adapter and it's all about getting the angle right to catch the plug and unscrew it. You'll have a few inches of clearance between the engine block and the other accessories wich is just enough.. you might need to insert the extension into the plug hole first and then attach it to the socket wrench. It took me about an hour to do the first plug and after i go the hang of it, i did the other 3 in 45 mins.

Good luck.

Reply to
EugeneT

On WRX you must remove air intake and filter box (passenger side) and washer fluid tank (on the driver side). Be careful not to brake plastic latches on connectors (Air mass sensor and two washer pumps) - plastic looses all flexibility when its cold. Now you have to remove spark plug coils held by 40mm M8x1.25 shoulder bolt with 12 mm hex head. I dropped one and could not find. Luckily had good assortment of metric hardware to find substitution. Later found replacement in "Help" section of autostore. Suggest to have couple of those handy or this 99 c piece may cost you a lot of aggravation. Space to work is very tight. Ratcheting 12 mm box wrench or Screwinder Ratchet will make it much easier. To remove plugs you will need 5" extension bar added to plug socket and use ratchet straight up - no room for swivel adaptor. Stock plugs did require some force at the beginning. Do not forget anti-seize compound to avoid this in the future! New plugs went in relatively smooth, but coils were not very negotiable. I did not disconnect coil connectors(less risk to brake a retaining tab) and because of the long spark plug collar (sleeve) it took some wiggling to get coil on the right spot. And infamous 40 mm M8x1.25 shoulder bolt resisted to catch on a thread for a while. After that just put back all removed parts in reverse order and you good to go! Happy motoring!!!!!

"Kelvin" wrote in message news:buo08o$ snipped-for-privacy@imsp212.netvigator.com...

Reply to
David Spektor

this is a very good tip... some folks reporting the tab breaking off. if you can do it without disconnecting, don't disconnect.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert