tappet noise

I have a '96 Liberty (Legacy) and have had major tappet noise. This is apparently the only Subaru with hydraulic lash adjusters. At first I replaced the offending adjuster then next day the new one was noisy. I got another one from the dealer then this one gave up. It doesn't seem to matter if you swap them around one will always lose pressure a couple of hours after manualy loading them with pressure and re-install. Hope one of you guys can help. The dealers don't know.

Reply to
John Murfet

My guess is the oil pump is loose and/or the block to pump gasket needs replaced. This problem is very common with the older EA82 engines. First time I have heard this problem with the 2.2 but the symptoms are the same.

Reply to
johninKY

Endwrench is a Subaru Pub that has a lot of info in an archives section on their home page. Check out that link.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

You've probably already been there, but just in case:

Didja check the oil passages in the rocker/rocker shaft for debris? If that's all clean -n- nice, look to the oil pump.

ByeBye! S.

Hi,

The EA-82 engines had hydraulic lifters and tappet noise just "came with the territory." Lots of things seem to help, though no one solution does all, but perhaps your engine will respond to some of the earlier "fixes." In addition to the suggestions you've gotten, the O-ring behind the oil pump has been implicated, supposedly for letting air into the system. While I'm not sure that's what's REALLy happening, many have experienced "relief" by replacing that part (which means digging in all the way, so might as well plan on doing t-belts, all the other engine seals, maybe a water pump while you're in there.)

A less invasive method that's also helped some is to use a cleansing oil additive like Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil. These have been discussed frequently in the past, and again have produced mixed success.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks Rick and everyone I'd better get the pressure checked and then start on the gaskets, pump etc. I may clean and then try some thicker oil first to see what happens.

Reply to
John Murfet