Dropped Tappet?

Rover 214 I 1396cc 1999

Whilst driving at the weekend the car engine suddenly became very noisy (sounding a bit like a diesel engine). I immediately checked the temperature gauge (which was normal) and pulled over at the first opportunity - some

50yrds later. On opening the bonnet the noise was coming from the top of the engine - extremely noisy tappets.

I stopped the engine and called the breakdown service. When he arrived, he started the engine and immediately said it "sounds like a dropped tappet - Ill take the car to your local garage - I wouldn't risk driving it". Which he did.

I am currently waiting for the garage to take a look etc., could someone give a brief idea as to what a 'dropped tappet' is and whether this is likely to be an expensive repair.

Many thanks

Reply to
jools

These engines have hydraulic tappets so one of them could have failed, in which case the engine would still run (noisily) but at a slightly reduced power, more noticeable at high revs. Alternatively it could be that oil pressure is no longer reaching one or more tappets, though they wouldn't go suddenly but would gradually get worse over several miles and you'd notice a definite drop in power...

Of course, it may not be anything that bad - if you're confidant removing the camshaft covers then that would probably reveal the source of the problem. IF it is a tappet (or more) needing replacement then the camshaft covers, camshaft(s) and timing belt will all need to come off. Of course, whilst the belt is off you should think about replacing that anyway. Figure on 3 hours labour, £30 for the belt (not including any tensioner or idler pulleys they may recommend) and at a wild guess, £20 per tappet. Overall I'd say you'd be looking between £200-£250 including parts, but that's pure speculation - I've never had any tappets fail, and I'd do the work myself anyway...

Darren

P.S

Of course, if you already know how to change the timing belt, have access to a Haynes or Rover manual, and don't mind getting oily then you could probably get a complete set of tappets from the scrapyard for about £40 and fit them yourself - just be careful to make sure they're facing the correct way round!

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Darren Jarvis wrote: /snip

Thanks for that Darren, very helpful.