Unpredictable overheating

My 1998 Subaru Legacy [76,000 miles] started randomly over heating last year. The radiator was removed and cleaned and the thermostat replaced. For six months no problem then suddenly yesterday the engine heat gauge on the dash goes to the max temp. Meanwhile the cabin heater is blowing unheated air. If the past is any indication, the problem will go away for a week or a month and then reoccure again. It's almost like some loose foreign matter is floating in the coolant and suddenly blocks a key passage. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
ccridge

Sounds like a head gasket. Get it checked out before serious damage occurs.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age." ---- J.W Muller

Reply to
George Adams

It sounds like you have a slow coolant leak, possibly from a leaking head gasket that's also allowing exhaust gases into the coolant, displacing even more coolant.

Check the coolant level in the radiator when the engine is cold. It should be completely full, and probably isn't. The coolant overflow bottle is probably almost empty, too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Agreed. The lack of cabin heat is a dead giveaway that there's no coolant in at least part of the system.

So you have 2 problems. The first is getting the air out of the cooling system. The second is finding out what caused the problem in the first place. Bob's theory sounds likely to me.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Head gasket would be my guess. My 98 Outback did the very same thing last winter. Although, it was not as random as you are experiencing. These engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets.

Will

Reply to
WillM

"ccridge" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Two words... HEAD GASKET

I had my 1998 Subaru Outback begin to have random and sudden overheating episodes at about 88,000 miles. I checked the thermostat and purged air out of the system. A telltale sign is that when you see air bubbles (exhaust gas) coming from the overflow tube in the coolant bottle.

Reply to
Mike

All the previous comments sound fair enough. If the cold coolant level in the radiator and header tank checks out ok, check if the bottom hose has collapsed or is really squishy once the car is warmed up - but before it boils! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

You know..it's funny...I call out problems like this with subaru(and other POORLY designed autos) and the people that own them get SO PISSED OFF. They dont want to hear/see this info printed in public. While the WRX series may be a tad faster than other imports, SUBARU's wont last for the long run!

75,000 miles(or 4 years) and they are falling apart! Toyota/Honda and most american iron last FAR longer than that. Subaru is a cheap car, built cheap, to be cheap.Built with a dollar sign in mind.
Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

I have a 98 Ltd Edition Liberty here in Aus. 76,000 on the clock, the exact same symptoms that you are experiencing. They didnt pick it up the first time. Now it is back in the shop. No 3 Cylnder has a broken head gasket.

I thought that the boxer engine was renowned for its relibility. cant beilieve that i only got 76K out of the thing before i have to spend 2K having the thing rebuilt. I am a little pissed! Wont be so quick to buy subaru again!

Reply to
Gavilan

You know, I keep reading your posts and wonder if we're dicussing the same brand? Obviously everyone believes what they believe, but just consider this. My 13yo Liberty (yr Legacy) wagon was recently traded with 332000Km (just over 200K miles) roadworthy, rust and probelm free, with routine maintenance over the 6 years I had it and my 99 OB Limited does everything expected of it. Friends & acquaintances have 40-45 different brands of car, ranging from the very old and questionable to brand new BMW, Merc, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, MG, Ford, Holden (yr Chev/Pontiac) and most of the current Japanese & Korean ranges. Most rate Subaru highly, many will buy another one.... and no, they're not all rich &/or running lease cars with pre-paid maintenance either. Cheers

Reply to
hippo