2002 GTI 337 Overheat

I've encountered my first 'major' problem with the 337. I was driving down the road the other day and my temperature warning light came on and my temperature gauge was almost pegged. I pulled over, shut the car off and let it sit for a few. Once the temp came down below half, I started to drive again. Car quickly pegged out. So, I let it cool down again. This time I turn on the AC to make sure the fans are working, they are. OK, I drive a while and the car heats up again. So, I continue this until I get her home.(luckily only a few miles) I do the VAG-COM thing, no codes. I then let the car idle while watching the temp readout on VAG-COM. Once the temps get above @ 105 C, I decide thats enough temp for the fan to kick in. The next day, I jumper the fan to verify that it is working. I also put a meter on the coolant fan switch (located in lower part of radiator). I start the car and let it get hot. No joy on the switch, so I think "cool, and easy part to fix". Well, I start to look on the Internet about cooling problems on VW's and in a thread somewhere someone mentions checking upper and lower hose temps. I go check mine. Top one HOT, bottom one, not much hotter than engine bay. OK. This tells me that I have a flow problem (no wonder switch in radiator never worked). I am not losing any coolant, and there isn't any evidence that I can see that would indicate any leaks. Here is the deal. More than likely it is either a thermostat, or a water pump. Without taking the right side of my engine apart, how can I tell if my water pump is pumping? Any suggestions? I guess the easiest thing would be for me to change the thermostat first tonight and see if that fixes the problem, but I don't want to have to drain the thing twice if I don't have to. Bottom line here is Does anyone know of a procedure to see if the water pump is flowing? Any help here would be appreciated.

(couple of hours later)

Ok, so I haven't cracked a line open yet (too late right now), and was wondering if any of you experts out there can answer a couple of questions. When looking at the motor (1.8t GTI), which way does the coolant flow? does it come out and toward the lower hose of the radiator, then exit the top hose and go toward the engine? (Where green temp sensor located) If my thermostat is bad would it cause the symptom of the top hose getting HOT and the lower hose to be at ambient temperature? If my water pump was bad could it cause a similar symptom? Just curious as I have a few hours to kill before the parts stores open in the a.m. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
sincity.337

While the vehicle is running.. observe the coolant tank and verify that you have coolant flow coming out of the bleed hose at the top.

From what you describe it sounds as if your water pump is faulty. You can remove the drive belt, and pull back the alternator to inspect the water pump blade through the thermostat hole. The blade portion on those particular water pumps tend to migrate off over time, even crack apart in the block. Stick you fingers inside and try to spin the blade, at the observing for any cracked damaged pieces floating around in there. The blade shouldn't be spinning unless the timing belt is moving.

-- Jackson

Reply to
Jackson

If the water pump was bad you would get very poor heat inside of the cabin!

If the thermostat was bad you should get good heat, or in your case superheated heat, inside of the cabin if your water pump was good!

The coolant usually flows from the eng>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

boy... is that a easy check which works abbout 95% of the time.

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

Hey Folks,

Update on the overheat problem. I pulled the thermostat and housing, reached into the water pump cavity and found that the impeller can be turned by hand. (feels kinds crunchy too). So, I've learned a valuable lessing in cooling problem troubleshooting. If your upper hose is hot, lower hose is cold, and you don't get any significant heating in the cabin, then your water pump is probably shot. If you have the same symptoms except you have heat in the cabin, it's probably your thermostat. Thanks to everyone for the inputs, I really appreciate it. Part should be here tomorrow, wish me luck :-)

Reply to
sincity.337

LUCK! lol

Reply to