Updated posting: 96 Outback-overheating problem

I poted an earlier message that the temp. gauge on my 160k miles '96 Outback is suddenly showing hot. There are times that cold air comes out instead of hot. The thermostat, the radiator and the sensor were all changed. It still reads between the middle and way beyond "H". There is no reduction in performance but still cold air comes out. The engine does not overheat and smoke. The mechanic showed me on a laser pointer thermometer that the engine temp is 229 degrees with the radiator as 140 degrees. He says that's all normal. The mechanic now says it may be the gauge. Would that be the case even with the cold air. Any ideas? Pete D. suggested that ir may be an air bubble, and that the cooling system needs to be bled. He added that it happens because the heater radiator (or did he mean the heater core?) is mounted so high in the dash. The mechanic claimes that it was bled, but still the gauge goes up. (how can I check if he did bleed it?) However no smoke, no loss in performance. The engine and radiator are still running at temperatures noted earlier. Should I ignore the gauge or not? Could it be something else? Thanks for the time and ideas. Happy holidays to all! Ric

Reply to
RAJP53

Edward Hayes

Is the water pump working? With the radiator cap off, start the engine. When the engine gets hot enough for the thermostat to open, you should see the antifreeze "flowing" through the radiator via the top radiator hose. You can rev the engine at the carb and watch it speed up with the engine speed. Normally if the water pump isn't working you'd be overheating though.

Reply to
RICHARD SOBE

Is the water pump working? With the radiator cap off, start the engine. When the engine gets hot enough for the thermostat to open, you should see the antifreeze "flowing" through the radiator via the top radiator hose. You can rev the engine at the carb and watch it speed up with the engine speed. Normally if the water pump isn't working you'd be overheating though.

Reply to
RICHARD SOBE

Maybe I should give up. The cooling system was bled, including the heater core. However, the gauge still runs up to beyond "H" after staying steady at the middle. The car ran in the stuck "H" plus position for over an hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic. When I finally shut the car off, I had some smoke coming from the engine. Maybe its worse that I thought? I am bringing it back to a mechanic tomorrow, but I'd like to know what to expect. Thanks for the attention and replies.

Reply to
RAJP53