Want to buy 98 Outback, BUT ..............

Im looking at a 98 Subaru Outback, automatic, Limited Edition with only

31,000 km (19,000) miles on it. I believe the mileage to be correct, looking at the vehicle--practically no stone chips, engine very clean, log book in order etc. (Price is $21,000 Australian, which is the correct book value.) It had just been traded at a Subaru dealership and hadn't been detailed when I saw it. So today it was meant to be available, BUT they said there was a small problem with the transmission and it wouldnt be available for a week. Bearing in mind that these guys are used car salesmen, Im wondering:

a) are there known problems with the 98 Outback automatic b) what do you guys think about automatic transmission problems when the mileage is so low?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
blank

jimuntch

Had trans issues with my 91, my fault, at 70K. Had some signs of trans problems with my 98 at 95K. I'd think a normally serviced trans should go

100K or so which is still weak by my standards but miles ahead of what your looking at.
Reply to
Greg

Can't compare car costs from US to Australia as there are many factors involved. You cannot buy a 98 Outback for under AU$20k. New Outbacks are around AU$50k

(pertaining

Reply to
Pete D

Greg, what automobile stands up to your standards? Just curious, not any Detroit iron I've ever owned. Nor BMW or Porsche. Certainly not Ferrari! Even Detroit's seat upholstery won't go 100K miles! Our '97 OB's did! ;-)

Pist>

Username munged by FixNews

Reply to
Don