Legacy rear seat belt problem

Hi,

I have a 1998 Legacy GTB Wagon. When carrying people around in the back seats they have been complaining that the seat belts slowly tighten themselves so that the person can hardly breathe! They can't simply be pulled out a little to give some slack either - they have to be unbuckled and fully retracted before they can be withdrawn again.

I took it to the Subaru dealer, but got the usual dismissive 'nothing we can do' story. Has anyone else experienced this, or knows how to fix it?

I don't carry passengers in the back very often, but it's nice to know they are not slowly suffocating back there!

Cheers.

Reply to
Mark Prestwood

Not sure if this applies to your car (I have a 2000) or how this would happen but the seat belts, if pulled ALL the way out, have a locking mode for baby seat installation so that the belt needs to be pulled all the way back in to be pulled out again. When this happens the belt makes a cliuking sound when it is pulling in.

If your passengers are pulling the belts all the way out when sitting, this could be the problem...

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore