Was: spark plugs. Now: "Fake Zenon Lights"

I don't know about your experience with "fake Zenon" lights, but mine was good. No, I don't mean the blue tinted standard bulbs for $7 from The Borg, they're garbage. I tried the PIAA high temp bulbs and found a real improvement in light output.

Very noticible!

Not, by any means, the same as the zenon's on my STi, but a whole lot better than the standard units. Not cheap either, at $50 a pair, but the only real option on a 98 Forester and a 97 Tracker!

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

I don't think those PIAA's are worth it. One can find Sylvania XtraVision bulbs for half the price, and without that annoying bluish tint. The other problem with "noticeable differences" is that the older bulb in the comparison usually has a diminished light output due to age and use.

Reply to
y_p_w

I really hope that after you put them in you re-aimed them correctly.

Reply to
John

I don't know if the problem with diminished output is valid. I know from my day job in photography that halogen bulbs do not yellow or deposit anything on the inside of the quartz shell. That totally consistant output was the biggest advantage that they had over the older incandescent bulbs. I assume that this holds true for automotive halogens, as well.

I can say that, in a comparison with a friends conventional lights, the PIAA's advantage was claerly visible. He thought so, too. He ordered a set the next day.

I agree that the PIAA's are expensive compared with the other high K lamps. At the time I bought them, about a year or more ago, they were the ones my local dealer carried. They now have Sylvania SuperStar (or some such) at half the price. I have no idea how those compare, the PIAA's are still going strong.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

Regardless - I can't figure out what the use of a bluish tint is. Any tint will filter out and reduce light output. There's a certain automotive light expert on rec.autos.tech who refers to PIAA as "overpriced garbage". He could make money selling them, but refuses to on principle. I can't see any rational reason for spending $60 to $120 on a pair of 9006/HB4 capsules.

I had a set of OEM Stanley HB4 bulbs go strong for four years in an Acura Integra. I'm not sure why, but I replaced them with some German-made GE-labelled bulbs, even though the OEM bulbs were still OK. I then used XtraVisions, which do have a noticeable increase in light output. The factory bulbs in my WRX are US-made Sylvania, so I figure the XtraVisions I got should be an improvement.

Reply to
y_p_w

That's an interesting thought! I agree that a tinted bulb would seem to have a lower output than a clear bulb. I don't know if the blue tint serves any real purpose, I doubt it.

As I understand the blurb, the HO bulbs burn hotter than standard halogens. This makes them more efficient at converting electricity to light. It should, as do the real zenons, also result in a bluer light color.

It would also seem to me that a hotter filament would burn out faster.

Does anyone have experience with the Silverstar's or XtraVision's lifespan?

PS: How about the life and cost of zenon bulbs? Subaru specifically warns against home replacement, but I don't know why.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

I used to work in a movie theater as a projectionist and about every 3 to 6 months we would replace the Xenon bulbs in the projectors. These are bad boys, around 1200 watt if I remember right. We had to wear protective equipment to change them, face shield, rubber coat, gloves, etc. The slightest bump in the wrong way would cause the bulbs to explode and they are quite large in size.

While the automotive bulbs are smaller, they are sensitive to oils and acids on skin so I would recommend wearing a latex glove or equivalent when changing them.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I actually bought a pair of Sylvania XtraVision 9006 bulbs for my WRX yesterday, but I haven't gotten around to installing them. There is a warning on the packaging to wear gloves and eye protection when changing them. I remember other bulbs came with recommendations to clean off the bulb with straight rubbing alcohol if fingerprints were left on the bulb's surface.

It's purely for appearances. Some manufacturers claim that the bluish tint "increases" alertness, which I find an odd claim.

However - there's no real need for the blue tint. I understand that XtraVision and "Cool Blue" are essentially the same bulb. The difference is that the blue tint reduces light output and costs a bit more. The store I bought the XtraVisions at had 9006 bulbs for $12.99, and the

9006 "Cool Blue" at $15.99. They also had the SilverStars for $50/pair or $25 singles (i.e. essentially no discount for buying the pair).

I was using an XtraVision pair for about 3 years before my car got stolen (and recovered).

I believe the XtraVision does contain a little xenon - something about helping with light output and longevity. Or do you mean real xenon HID lamps? I wouldn't trust an HID drop-in replacement. I've heard of them, and most seem to be dangerous. Perhaps there are custom full headlight replacements. I would think it might be possible to retrofit an Impreza with the STI HID lamps.

The thing about regular home replacement seems to be that it's a pain in the ass. My '95 Acura Integra was simply unscrew, pull out, replace bulb, and screw back in. The WRX seems to have this large disk, as well as some sort of cotter pin to keep everything in place. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the complexity only serves to make sure the home machanic has to take it to the dealer (like the T-70 Torx head used on the manual transmission and auto trans front diff drain bolts). BTW - I do have a 1/2" T-70 Torx bit, and it works like a charm.

Reply to
y_p_w

Absolutely...and that goes for the OEM halogen bulbs too. I'll dip them in rubbing alcohol out of the package, let them dry, and handle them only with a paper towel. Learned that lesson years ago with halogen fog lite bulbs...

Reply to
CompUser

Halide arc lamps burn blue and put out a butload of light, any other bulb apearing to burn blue is just tint added to make it look like you have the real thing, which you don't, so all it can do is degrade the output. But at least you look cool.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo