Replaced my Camry's Heightlight bulb. Awesome

What kind of Camry? What kind of bulb?

Reply to
badgolferman

I've been going to replace my '93 Camry's headlamps with the new Sylvania "Silver Star" lamps. Is that what you used?

Interestingly, a friend who has a Toyota SUV was told not to use Silver Star's by the local Toyota dealer...saying that they would "overload" his wiring harness and cause it to "burn-out".

Anyone tried Silver /Stars?

Thanks, Chuck

This topic has been discussed at length elsewhere. Actually I use the SilverStars, they even look nicer for daytime running. They will not overload the standard wiring - the wattage is the same as stock. However, there is a light tint to alter the color temperature. Whenever a bulb is tinted the light output is decreased. The Sylvanias are "overdriven" to compensate, which also means the filaments burn out sooner. So you're paying more for probably no more illumination, with a shorter life, but whiter light, which actually, has not been proven to illuminate the road better. Like I said, I still like them. Seems the hotter ticket, quite literally, are a patented design that reflects infrared heat back on to the filament to significantly increase light output, but the color temperature (appearance) is not changed from standard halogen. Also the wattage is standard. People seem to have had good results.

"HIR" - "Halogen Infrared Reflecting" bulbs.

Reply to
Daniel

Silverstars are brighter than stock and some Piaas. Lights are rated in Lumens, all lights, every bulb sold even for your house is rated in Lumens. Silverstars for my fog lights were rated 1700 lumen and high end Pia 1500 or so Lumens. The site with the Infrared reflecting light did not as far as I could see offer the industry standard in light measurement, just some obscure BS measurement. Show a Lumen rating that is verified then it is worth a true comparison, otherwise it probably is not brighter.

Reply to
m Ransley

I saw a rating on those bulbs after looking further maybe it is something good.

Reply to
m Ransley

badgolferman wrote: || Norton wrote: || ||| Yeah!!!! || || What kind of Camry? What kind of bulb?

My friend's 2004 Camry has far better and longer reaching headlight illumination than my 99 Camry. Why? Can one or SHOULD one replace the headlight bulbs in the 99 Camry with different and/or stronger ones? What about the bluish ones, for example?

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

Daniel wrote: || This topic has been discussed at length elsewhere. || Actually I use the SilverStars, they even look nicer for daytime || running. || They will not overload the standard wiring - the wattage is the same || as stock. || However, there is a light tint to alter the color temperature. || Whenever a bulb is tinted the light output is decreased. || The Sylvanias are "overdriven" to compensate, which also means the || filaments burn out sooner. || So you're paying more for probably no more illumination, with a || shorter life, but whiter light, which actually, has not been proven || to illuminate the road better. || Like I said, I still like them.

I'm curious. WHY would you like them if they give off no more light and STILL burn out faster? Doesn't make any sense...to me, anyways. Is it the different "tint" of light, i.e. does it sort of look "cleaner"?

|| Seems the hotter ticket, quite literally, are a patented design that || reflects infrared heat back on to the filament to significantly || increase light output, but the color temperature (appearance) is not || changed from standard halogen. Also the wattage is standard. || People seem to have had good results. || ||

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

Yes, I agree. My 97 Camry has lousy headlights. The 94 I used to have had much better ones. I don't think the bluish ones will illuminate the road any better. They just look brighter and annoy oncoming drivers more.

Reply to
badgolferman

I replaced the headlights in by '99 Camry last summer with Osrom Silverstars. Those are the real Silverstars by the way, the Sylvania Silverstars are one step below. Both are made by Sylvania. I noticed a definite improvement in the light output on the road, but they don't outshine newer car/truck models, but compared to the regular Toyota bulbs they are much brighter, more like most normal headlights instead of dull and dim. The Eurpoean H4 bulbs are identical to the N.A. HB2 standard bulb size.

Hope this helps,

Norm

[...]

Father Guido

~I've been going to replace my '93 Camry's headlamps with the new Sylvania ~"Silver Star" lamps. Is that what you used?

I replaced the headlights in by '99 Camry last summer with Osrom Silverstars. Those are the real Silverstars by the way, the Sylvania Silverstars are one step below. Both are made by Sylvania. I noticed a definite improvement in the light output on the road, but they don't outshine newer car/truck models, but compared to the regular Toyota bulbs they are much brighter, more like most normal headlights instead of dull and dim. The Eurpoean H4 bulbs are identical to the N.A. HB2 standard bulb size.

Hope this helps,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:27:27 GMT, "Liberal|sarl|airs|"

Reply to
Father Guido