weird coincidence?

I don't know if this is real or just a really weird coincidence: I've been driving for 30+ years and don't remember ever having a flat tire. Three years ago I bought an STi and I've had a flat three times, each about a year apart and always in the right rear tire. Two were in the summer tires and on in a winter tire. All three were in tires in great condition and correctly inflated. One was a clear road hazard ( a rusty 6" long bent metal strap) but I never found anything in the other tire's tread to pinpoint the root cause of the pressure loss.

Do wide and thin tires get that many more flats than 75 series rubber?

Why always the right rear (No, I've shuffled the rims) I can imagine the right side is closer to the curb, I'm in the US, where we drive on the CORRECT side of the road :-) and more likely to end up off the pavement, but why, then just the back?

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket TPS systems?

2p
Reply to
Philip Procter

If this is the problem, it makes sense that the back wheel would get most of the damage; since the front wheels are the ones you steer with, they're the ones you have the most control over. Since falling off the pavement isn't something you usually do on purpose, it probably happens when something causes you to drift to the edge of the pavement and then quickly correct back onto the road. The front would respond a little before the back and get back on the pavement sooner.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

My Forester blew out the right rear also from debris on the shoulder of the interstate when I drifted over onto the shoulder. The only other car that I had a flat on was a 1986 Honda Accord LXi that had three flats, all on different corners. The Michelin MVX tires seem to attract punctures.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I ended up with an impact break on a Yokohama advan on my right rear

3000 miles out of the gate on a new legacy. Won't be buying yokohama again.... Good enough service replacing the tire, just not impressed with the tires, and the impact break was the deciding factor. Hopefully first and only one, but worried it won't be the last.

Reply to
Mike