Whining noise on deceleration

My 1997 Legacy Brighton with 136K on the automatic tranmission makes a soft whiny sound (almost sounds a little like a distant siren so I usuually end up turning down the radio and opening the window to be sure) upon deceleration. It's most audible at lower speeds, and does not have to have the brakes on to occur. Seems clearly to be from the front end.

Is this anything to worry about - transmission or differential or cv joint wise?

TIA Jim

Reply to
Jim