Why the 3.5K mi Forester H-6 oil change?

got a letter from Sube saying, I have had my Sube 2.5i Impreza for

2mo, and probably have 3K mi it, so am due for the 3.5kmi oil change. I have only read where Only the H-6 Forester is scheduled for a 3.5K mi change, or Just the H-6's. What the.....

Why would Just the Forester Or the H-6 have a shorter first oil change, or doesn't one hand know what the other is doing, or Anybody know? Misprint? Bigger motor, more stress, probably went off road in dusty areas, maybe towing, or carrying heavy cargo??

VF

Reply to
houndman

Wife's new Forester calls for this interval for first oil change but subsequent ones are 7k. I always figure break in could generate more junk like metal shavings making an early oil change desirable.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I figure the first change should be shorter, but people tell me the engineers Know what they are doing, and I don't believe they use Thin oil for breaking in like the old days. I only have 1200mi on it, and may not have 3.5K by 7.5mo, so playing it by ear. Since I plan to change it myself I figure I should go by the recomended intervals, to the day, so there is no calculating, if I wasn't right on it, if there is a warranty problem.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

Looks like according to Sube it Depends on your type of driving you do, No Matter the vehicle or motor. Stop & go, short trips, dust, etc I'm doing mostly highway, but have to get out of the city. I think the city has a Lot of dust, but are brake and tire dust equal to soil? 2 mo with 1200mi on it, I figure I need to change it about 4500mi. That should take me 7mo, till spring.

VF

VF

Reply to
houndman

We're all over the board here. My wife's new Forester('07) has in the maintenance section of the owners manual first oil change at 7.5K miles, with 7.5K intervals for normal service. When I first read it I thought the first. was 3K but that change had a footnote that indicated it was for 3.0L engines only. '07 Foresters only come with a 2.5L, at least in the U. S. so this must be a generic maintenance schedule for all models. The Tribeca maybe has 3.0L?

Frank B.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Read the manual. The dealer will try to get you to do extra stuff.

Reply to
David

But then the manual says, 3.5K for All, if driven Stop & Go, Short trips, or dusty areas. Living in a big city, maybe That's why they sent the letter. It Even said, I Probably have 3048 miles on the car. The dealer is in the burbs, so they Must figure I'm driving short trips, stop & go with it, or Sube goes by your zip code. I wrote to Sube to see what They come up with, but I've heard that they come up with some off the wall replies. Edmunds.com has 2 guys on a live chat forum, who are Supposed to be from Sube, who said, Not to use synthetic oil Unless the car Came with it. I didn't know any Sube's did.

VF

VF

Reply to
houndman

Thought I saw it someplace in her papers but dealer does first change free at 3,000 so we'll go for it. After that, I'll do all the oil changes and having an '03 only have to stock one type filter and washers ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

The letter has a coupon that says, Routine maintance, 3,750 Oil Change. ..described in your Subaru Warranty and Maintance booklet OR per Dealer recomendation. $16.95 With coupon. So My dealer Thinks they Know Me.)) I wonder how bad they could screw up an oil change? Forget the dip stick, not change the filter, put the wrong oil in, not change the oil, because it was so clean, they thought it was already done, put it in the wrong place, Or Forget to put it in, or enough, and as I'm driving home the light comes on. I've had a LOT of bad work done, and why I went back to doing Everything my self. Had brakes fail

2 blocks after having brakes replaced, the 2nd time had to use them and a wheel cyl open up, and that was a Good shop. I had a clutch replaced, and it would Creep at lights... That was at a shop I Knew rebuilt a motor and started it with No oil in it. They forgot a bell housing dust cover and put half standard bolts in that only grabbed a thread, and the rest the metrics that they found. They got grease or dirt on the splined shaft, and the disk was hanging up.

VF

Reply to
houndman