car engine oil extended change

Hi, My car (toyota petrol 1.3) does a smallish mileage in a year say around 5000 miles, mainly on fairly short distances around town. what would be the 'time' limit to
reasonably extend oil changes for economy reasons using a semi synthetic oil ?
I suspect a lot of people will immediately say don't economize in this way. However some forty years ago I had a conversation with a professor of an engineering college and he said engine oil does not degrade 'time wise' as fast as most people think ( and importantly as the oil companies would wish us to believe). So by how much time could one reasonably delay an oil change with modern oils?
jw 1111 wrote:

I think oil and engine technology has changed somewhat over the past 40 years, so your conversation may not have much relevance :-)
I don't think the issue is one of time related degradation, more the assumption that a car that does a low annual milage will mainly be doing a lot of short trips. The problem then is that the oil is never sustained at an elevated temperature, so contaminants remain in the oil. Of course, if your low annual milage is done by virtue of only a few long trips it may not be such a problem.
I have seen this, where a car doing a lot of short trips goes on a longer journey. The oil level will be OK before leaving, but may drop below the minimum during the trip as the the condensation boils off.
The rule of thumb for a car doing low annual milages is to halve the service interval. In your case, I would at the very least do an oil and filter change once a year. The cost of this when viewed against the total cost of ownership is very small, especially if you are able to DIY it.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

One of the big synthetic oil producers recommends this for 100% synthetic oil (which is what I use): 12 months or 25,000 miles, change the filter and all the oil. At the 6-month point, change the filter and the 1 quart of oil that goes with it. This replenishes the additives that take care of things like acids that form from combustion by-products.
Synthetics are also superb at hot and cold temp extremes.
I've been using it on my vehicles for years, typically about 25k miles per year. I have kept the vehicles for over 200k miles.

oil
with this kind of small mileage you should at least do a 12month oil change, if not 6 monthly; if you intend to keep the car for a fair time.
Tim..

Dont bother changing it.

Yep, plenty dont have a clue about the basics.

He's right.

Once every decade is more than you need.
wrote

Complete and utter rubbish. Whilst the oil in itself doesn't degrade, the contamination of the oil from the combustion process and condensation will drastically shorten engine life, particularly when the detergents and additives in the oil break down.
Hence we see engines completely ruined at 60,000km because of lack of oil changes causing sludge buildup and accelerated wear.
Modern oils will protect your engine for 15,000km or 6 months.
Having said that, modern oils

Have fun explaining how it worked fine for me.

Yeah, yeah, nice theory, pity about the reality.
My engine has lasted fine for 30+ years.

Nice theory, pity about the reality.
My engine has lasted fine for 30+ years.

How odd that some manufacturers recommend 12 months.
You're furiously living in the past, child.

wrote

You're out of touch with reality.

What your 30 year old engine has done is irrelevant when talking about modern engines.

That is the reality. I work in the trade, you never have.

Irrelevant to what happens with modern engines.

Yep, typo on my part. 12 months or 15,000km.

You are completely out of touch with your 30 year nonsense.

You wouldnt know what reality was if it bit you on your lard arse, child.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
Nothing has changed with car engines over that time that has any relevance whatever to oil change frequency.
The only significant change is that its not computer controlled and that makes no difference to the behaviour of the oil.

No it isnt.

You just crash cars. Doesnt count.

You cant even manage the basics with electricity either, child.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
Nothing has changed with car engines over that time that has any relevance whatever to oil change frequency.
The only significant change is that its not computer controlled and that makes no difference to the behaviour of the oil.

That aint a typo, thats you desperately attempting to bullshit your way out of your predicament and fooling absolutely no one at all, as always.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
Nothing has changed with car engines over that time that has any relevance whatever to oil change frequency.
The only significant change is that its not computer controlled and that makes no difference to the behaviour of the oil.
wrote

It sure has. Don't believe his lies folks.

Don't believe his lies folks.

If you had any clue about anything mechanical whatsoever you would recognise your comments to be the lies that they are.
Don't believe his lies folks, ring up any independant engine repair place and let them explain to you why you should change oils on a regular basis on modern engines.
Then come back here to rub Rod's face in the mountains of evidence to teach him not to lie.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rod Speed"

Could you pair of retarded wankers learn to snip?
--

Dave
SE6a

Go and fuck yourself or you'll get Bobbitted.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rod Speed"

You're getting the idea. Now, all you have to do is follow the words on the drool-flecked screen with your fingers.
--

Dave
SE6a

Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Meanwhile Rod Speed proved that a lone chimpanzee bashing at a keyboard will never reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
--
Conor,

Same shit, different day.
Some silly little fuckwit claiming to be
just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:56:01 GMT, "jw 1111"

Your problem has to do with oil contamination not mileage or oxidation. If you don't get the oil up to engine temp ( somewhat over the boiling point of water for the oil, but I've never measured it ), condensates will accumulate in the oil. Gasoline, water vapor, who knows what from crankcase fumes. Pretty soon, if you never let your engine run long enough to boil off these volatile condensates, you've got acidic crap pumping through your engine that is going to dilute the lubricity and other wear-resistant characteristics of the oil, which will lead to early engine death.
So you have to change your oil just as often as anyone else, but for the contamination reason. You'll have pea soup in the oil sump eventually, or worse, gunk that will clog the minute oil galleries that lube the piston bearings and piston pin ( I call it the pin...the rod that the head pivots on ).
Say at least every 6 months, every 4 months would be better.
Otoh, I'm using full synthetic, and am going by miles not time...5,000 miles change filter and add oil to bring up to full mark on oil stick ( say just less than a full quart for the filter ). And at 10K miles a complete oil and filter swap.
For me, that means a new filter and somewhat less than a full quart at 25,250 miles, regardless of how long it takes me to get to that mileage. Then at 30,250, I change ALL the oil and put on a new filter again.
YMMV HTH
Lg

Yank Alert.
Recommending an oil change on a honda every 1700 miles is ludicrous, try not to post in Merkin groups...
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 17:27:55 GMT, "Tony Bond \(UncleFista\)"

The O.P. has a 1.8 Liter? That's a little larger than a lawnmower engine where I live. Give the little feller a chance to live...feed it clean oil.
Lg