'02 Impala... how do I...

1) Disable DRL's 2) Disable auto headlights 3) get the radio to turn off and on with the key

also, are there any differences in any of the above procedures between '02 and newer versions? (I'm driving an '02 for now because my new company car is taking longer than expected to arrive.)

Since this is a leased vehicle, all mods must be easily reversible.

thanks!

nate

PS - more annoying stuff I don't like about the car...

1) unlike EVERY other car I've ever owned, the doors don't unlock when you close them, if you accidentally hit the lock button the doors are LOCKED. (yeah, I found that out the hard way, after having it for maybe 6 hours. Haven't locked myself out of a car in... well, ever I think.) 2) Who thought it was a good idea to put a 3400 under the hood of a full-sized sedan? 3) A/C is wimpy. I hope that that is a symptom of age/abuse and not reflective of how it's designed. It was about 95 out today and I had to keep the fan on '5' to be reasonably comfortable - I would have preferred it cooler in the car. 4) Glovebox is laughably small. (and did not contain owner's manual, but that's not the car's fault. Unless the manual is too big for the glovebox...)
Reply to
N8N

One answer: If you give the radio/car a few seconds after turning the key off, the radio should eventually turn off. Other accessories also may stay on during this time--kind of a courtesy to not let you down abruptly as soon as switch is turned off. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Daytime Running Light De-activation is not reversible. Don't know why you would want to disable a safety feature. If you want to idle with the lights off you can press down slightly on the Park brake before starting the engine...

As for the auto locks, they can be programmed on the radio. You need the owner's manual. This vehicle is also designed to inhibit the doors from locking if the key is in the ignition. Prevents you from locking the keys in while you run into 7-11 for a coffee and leave the engine running.

The radio will stay on for twenty minutes after shutting off the engine as a courtesy. As soon as you open the door the radio stops...

95 degrees for AC is about the maximum design depending on the wet bulb temperature. Obviously the AC works harder in humid climates of 95 degrees in Chicago, New York or other coastal cities as opposed to the dry Arizona climate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

well... they don't work that way :/

Ah, I see... never tried leaving it on.

Well... I'm in DC... does that mean that I need to hope it doesn't get any hotter?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Drive with the low beam headlamps on all the time (perhaps put tape on the sensor for the automatic headlamps to make it think that it is night time all the time). That will get rid of the high beam DRLs.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Hey, I like that idea. That way I don't have to worry about turning the lights off because I'll never actually turn them on. Does anyone know where the sensor is?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

They don't specifically list the 02 impala, but there might be something close enough... I think the GP is the same car as an Impala so it might be wired close to the same:

ray

Daytime running lights use the high beam but not at full power. It's not going to blind anyone.

Reply to
shawnews.pk.shawcable.net

I hear that complaint very infrequently, and I don't really get it. High beams in series (DRLs) are a much lower intensity of focused light than when run normally at full B+. The biggest reason HB DRLs are not a problem is the fact that they are used in DAYLIGHT; there is significant sunlight outside as to keep onlookers' eyes adjusted for bright light conditions. Ive seen plenty of cars going down the street over the years with their highbeams on (for whatever reason) and never thought it was annoying -- let alone DRLs.

Our resident lighting expert Dan likes small dedicated amber DRLs better than headlights for a variety of reasons, but my gut feeling is I like the headlight systems better - just from a driver standpoint. I think they are more noticeable and hopefully more safe as a result. I have no facts to back that up, however.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I agree with you, Comboverfish. The headlight systems don't bother me at all. What REALLY bothers me is people driving at dusk, in rain, and fog, with not a sign of a light on.

And there are tons of them that do it, whether by ignorance, inconsideration, or simple unconsciousness.

These people will get you killed.

Reply to
<HLS

I'm one of the people that *does* complain about it. Now the Impalas, I don't notice them that much, but being somewhat glare sensitive, I can tell you that Saturns are teh suXX0rs especially in twilight without the headlights on. But even on an overcast day they can be distracting.

They're brighter than they need to be for their intended purpose, for one thing... if nothing else it's wasteful.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Brighter than they have to be, possibly. Wasteful...mathematically it is a very small number, insignificant to many of us.

One wreck will cost you a ton more than these lights will.

Reply to
<HLS

Those lights won't save me from a single wreck. They're useless. A marketing gimmick, IMHO.

Found another thing I hate - the utterly worthless parking brake. You put it to the floor to set it and then kick it to release it - no release handle. So it can't be used as an "emergency brake" should the service brakes fail, it's for parking only.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Cant fight you on the parking brake, but I do not agree with your assessment of automatic lighting. You may be one of those rare few who use lighting appropriatel to the circumstance, but a good many of the rednecks around here do not. And they are very dangerous.

Reply to
<HLS

Usually on top of the dash..usually protruding, but can be behind the defogger grille.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

That reminds me of the ingenious e-brake setup in my Jimmy, with the barking brake release lever a mere few inches away from the hood release lever. Now THAT would be quite the surprise in an emergency. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

I like headlights better when they are used as headlights and DRLS when they are shoved up the drivers ass - they are ALL irritating. Anyone who can't see a car during the day unless it has lights on should have their license revoked.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That's why it's called a parking brake. That way it's harder for you to sue if you need it in an emergency and it's not very helpful.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It isnt quite that simple, Ashton. It would be simpler if drivers stayed alert and used their lighting religiously when the conditions dictate.. But they dont. Mist, fog, haze, rain coupled with an asshole who will not turn on his lights make for dangerous conditions.

Reply to
<HLS

And IMHO DRL's just make the problem WORSE not better. Very few DRL implementations light up the sides or rear of the car, and the ones using high beams are painfully glaring under any conditions that would warrant regular headlight use. The world would be a better place if auto mfgrs. just built cars, and stopped trying to save us from ourselves.

nate

Reply to
N8N