1970 Cadillac Climate Control Problem

HELP!
I recently purchased a 1970 Cadillac Commercial Chassis (hearse) and I am struggling to iron out problems with the climate control. It was
dead in the water when I started. The first problem I found was that the air conditioner compressor clutch was unpluged as well a another connector. Next was a bad blower relay. As it stands, I have a working blower now and I can switch between the dash vents and the defroster vent but not the floor vents. Also, it does not appear that the temperature control has any effect.
Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go next?
Thanks!
Rick
Pull the heater control unit from the dash. Check the hoses for vacuum leaks. The heat to the floor is a vacuum door, too. .

I got the dash about half apart, but not enough to figure out how to get the climate control unit loose from the dash face. The hoses look good, no cracks and still nice and pliable. The main thing concerning me is that there seems to be no temperature control. No matter what temp I set it to, it doesn't seem to change. All connectors and hoses look like they are on and tight.
Are there any known problems with the electrical side of the climate control or vacuum leaks on it?

Since my last post, I bought a handheld vacuum tester and 15 feet of vacuum hose, and went at it.
It seems that the transducer/temperature control device is not allowing vacuum to pass no matter what the setting of the temperature is or where the lever is. I have good vacuum to it, but nothing out. Putting vacuum on the output line does cause the airflow to shift to the floor and get hot. At least that is a step in the right direction!
So the current question is, which is more prone to failure, the transducer or the electronics controlling it? More importantly, how the heck do I get the climate control loose from the dash besides ripping the entire dash apart??
Rick
On 11 Sep 2003, darkrider wrote:

Step one: Obtain and open the FACTORY service manual for your car.
Do not proceed without it.
DS
Just a wild assed guess, but what would put vacuum on that 'out' line to allow the switch?
I would be looking there....
And yes, you likely will have to take the dash off to get at everything. GM is good for that.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
darkrider wrote:

transducer
read the service manual; visit the dealer and ask to photocopy the applicable pages