1973 chevy pickup v8/350 Rochester quad carb

Reply to
willy

Have you ever tried removing and replacing the brackets that hold the tank straps to the frame on a '73 -'87 Chevy?

Rusty or not it *is* easier to loosen the box and lift it off the frame by a few inches to get to the top bolts of the bracket!

Reply to
anumber1

If they're rusted, replace them. they're just carriage bolts. Air tools can help with removal.

No fuel hoses connected to bed, they run along a frame rail

One plug in connector

Not connected to bed. Main wiring harness runs along a frame rail until the very rear of the truck.

More likely rusted metal; the lower bed supports are a "hat" shaped piece of steel. Might as well derust and paint those while the bed is off.

I managed to get the (heavy Stepside) bed off my dad's '73 with help from only my dad and (very small) mom. Besides, if the truck is going to be repainted, the bed will have to come off anyway to paint the back of the cab.

Couple of sawhorses work well.

BTDT too, far easier to pull the clip on a '56 Golden Hawk than try to maneuver that big Packard motor out over the radiator support without smacking anything.

hey, I was just trying to help based on my personal experience, I could probably pull the bed on my dad's '73 in half an hour to access the gas tank; I'd rather do that then spend all afternoon sucking rust flakes to drop the tank otherwise.

just MHO, you don't have to agree with me, but I do think it is the easiest way.

nate

Reply to
N8N