1999 Olds Delta 88 Blinker Problem

Hi, I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Delta 88, and the right blinker stays 'on' (doesn't blink), when selected. I've had this problem since early June: one morning, the right blinker just wouldn't blink, after it had been blinking ok the night before. I've swapped out the blinker switches (the hazard lights and blinkers use the same kind), and the problem was exactly the same after I swapped them. I've inspected/swapped my bulbs (front and back), but the problem persists. As the light is actually illuminating, and both filaments in the bulb are good (both parking light and blinker), it seems that the wiring would be ok. Is this a fair judgement? One thing that I don't quite understand is how the front right blinker and front right marker light are wired. When the blinker is working normally, the right blinker light illuminates while the right marker light is off, and the right blinker light is off when the right marker light is on. Could this have some bearing on this situation? I've thought about the blinker selector switch in the steering column

- is there another contact that controls the current that 'drives' the blinker, from the right side?

Many thanks for any ideas or input. It's greatly appreciated.

Reply to
ll

the front blinker & side marker are supposed to alternate blinking.

I'd check every bulb on the car to see if any other bulbs are out.. Sometimes weird things can happen with a bulb being out.

Also, with the turn signal on wiggle the turn signal bulbs and see if they start to blink. check the plugs for any corrosion/burnt plugs.

Turn your lights on. Does the side marker light stay on when the turn signal isn't engaged?? It should be on, and get brighter when the turn signal is on.

on my 98 Plymouth Breeze I had a brake light out, and it was causing the 3rd brake light to stay on when I turned my lights on.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Thanks for your input - I'll try this out!

Reply to
ll

There either is a bulb out or one bulb is grounded through the other lights. The blinker relay works on heat / current. The more current, the higher the heat, the faster the blink rate. Reduce current and the flash rate slows or stops.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

The easiest method: When you do each of the below tests, stand in front of the car, then stand in the back. When comparing the left and right sides, the same number of bulbs should be lit, and they should be of equal brightness side-to-side.

  1. Turn all lights on.
  2. Turn the hazard flashers on, both with the lights on and then off.
  3. Have someone press the brake pedal with the lights on and then off.

I'm sure you'll find a mismatch left to right. Find the bulb that does not match its counterpart on the other side, and it will probably be that bulb and/or socket.

Reply to
Bill Vanek