1999 Taurus transmission problem - serious?

Hi, I have a 1999 Taurus that is having transmission problems. Here's some background:

3.0 V6 engine. Runs great, and up until recently, shifted fine. After driving home one day, we get in to leave and the car will not move in any gear - as though it was in neutral. No noise - no grinding, whining, etc. No leaks either. When I shift into reverse or drive, I can feel the engine shudder slightly (like normal) as it engages, but the car will not move. The transmission fluid level is correct and slightly brown, but not burnt. No metal pieces are in it either - just regular light wear dust. I checked the shift lever (Transmission Range Sensor) on the transaxle and moved it by hand while my wife sat in the drivers seat - same result. The engine will shift slightly as reverse or drive gear(s) engage, but the car won't move even if revved up pretty high. As an experiment, I unplugged a connector on the top of the transaxle, near the TRS (I think this is a 'bulkhead' connector?) and then the car would drive forward but only sometimes in reverse. In forward, it is very, very sluggish, as though it is starting in a high gear. Still, no noises or leaks. So, I feel that the transmission is mechanically OK and that an electrical device is possibly the cause of our problem. I had the codes scanned at AZ and they came back the torque converter circuit (PO743) and several different shift solenoid codes (PO750, 760, 751, 756, 761, 755). I doubt all solenoids have failed simultaneously, but I'm not sure how to isolate which ones are bad. Any suggestions? After doing some 'net research, I'm kinda leaning towards the TSS (Turbine Speed Sensor). Any thoughts on this? Also, if you have any other ideas or advice, it would all be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
AB

You set all those codes when you pulled the plug on the transmission. Clear the codes and scan again, but probably needs a transmission expert to diagnose what is likely a mechanical problem

Don

Don

That's definitely a possibility but that doesn't answer why the trans will move the car with the plug unhooked and not when attached properly. I plan on re-scanning the car with everything hooked up properly, but I'm still pretty sure that mechanically, the trans is OK and this problem is some sort of solenoid or electrical control issue, I just can't figure out what.

Reply to
comicscardsandmore