2001 Grand Marq transmission query

I have a 2001 Grand Marquis with 32000 miles. The transmission is my least favorite item on this car: it shifts inconsistently--sometimes quickly and smoothly, other times slowly, taking 2-4 seconds to transition from gear to gear (upshift). The slow shifting is more common if I'm on the throttle hard. Also, it sometimes takes its sweet time to come out of a downshift--if I let off after accelerating, it will stay in the lower gear for 2-3-4 seconds rather than dropping back into drive or OD.

That performance alone would be little more than annoying, but the other night when I turned on to a main road and stepped on it to accelerate, it wound up to ~30-40 in first gear and then promptly missed second gear, bounced of the rev limiter for a second or two, and then dropped into second. I've been unable to reproduce the behavior in a couple tries since. I've never had a transmission miss an upshift before--is this something to be concerned about?

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Making a rather large assumption that the transmissions in these cars haven't changed a lot in 8 years' time, I'd say your experience is rather typical. A couple of '93s with which I was familiar acted the same way. The electronic controls have effectively taken control away from the operator. Automatic transmissions reached their zenith for driveability and reliability in the late '60s - early '70s. The slow upshifts MAY be improved by a fluid and filter change. Fluid in that car should be changed about every 30,000 mi. Be sure to drain the torque converter when changing: it holds two gallons. Only about one gallon drains when the pan is removed.

Reply to
the fly

Is that thing still under warranty? If so, get it to the dealer. My

99 GT had similar problems. They devel>
Reply to
AZGuy

[...]

Thanks for the feedback. I had a 92 and a 97. The 92 got a rebuild at 41k (under warranty). The 97 is @ 125k with no problems so far (with regular fluid changes; otherwise it gets strange when the fluid has been in there ~35k miles). They supposedly changed the transmissions--the 92/93 transmissions are different from the 97/98 and later, if I understood correctly.

You got it right with drivability; I never used to think about transmissions--they were there, but they always just worked. Now, it seems, they are less predictable and less reliable; progress, I guess.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Use a scan tool to check for codes....Could very well be the MLP sensor. This is really just a neutral safety and gear position comb switch but ford calls it Manual Lever Posistion switch. On the AODE and the 4R70W that is in yours, if the sensor has a flat spot in it it will miss second all together and be in neutral and over-rev. The part lists for about 75.00 for the 96 model. SInce they both have the same tranny, I wouldn't expect the 01 to be much higher..Mayber the same part...If your check engine light has been on for even a moment while driving , this could have set the code...but I would replace it anyway. And only then if it does not fix it, seek garage help..The tranny shops will just want to rebuild it for

1800.00+ dollars.... good luck
Reply to
Uncle Dodo