2001 Intrepid Engine or Sensor

Hi,

I have a 2001 Intrepid that seems to be doing something strange and I was wondering if anyone might know what the problem could be.

My car runs fine until the engine temperature hit right above the second line of the engine temperature gauge. It's almost like clockwork.... the engine begins to stumble as if I put bad gas in the tank, it idles up and down for no reason while driving and while sitting still, it sometimes even stalls out.

If I let me the car cool down it returns to normal but as soon as it gets back to the magic spot on the tempature gauge, the cycle continues.

The funny and interesting thing about this problem is that it seemed to start happening right after I took it in for 60k service, this car is strictly a highway car, back and forth to work 40 miles each way, each day. I would hate to think it was dealer inflicted, but, I'll be damned it I'll take it back to the dealer after spending 1k in service charges just a couple of weeks previous.

Anyone ever experience this or know of anyone who has. Are these signs of a faulty thermostat?

Thanks

Reply to
Darrick

Since problem started immediately after you had the service work done, they probably knocked something loose. They should look into at no charge.

Also, post your problem at rec.autos.makers.chrysler. Don't be surprised at the number of extremely knowledgeable people at your service.

Darrick wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Thanks Mike,

will do!

Reply to
Darrick

But you need to do so, because they almost certainly -- one would hope inadvertently -- caused it. It sounds as if one of the sensors under the hood has a problem. Something was inadvertently left unplugged, probably, or perhaps a defective sensor was installed as a replacement. I don't know if your car has a thermostatic air cleaner setup, but if it does and the air cleaner was not reassembled and hooked up properly, you could get this symptomology.

If an underhood visual inspection doesn't reveal the cause, a quick hookup to the DRB will pinpoint the problem area. Take the car and your service receipt back, and tell them what's going on, with full detail. One detail you don't mention here is whether the condition clears up if you continue to drive long enough to warm the engine further.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm not sure what you mean but, if I'm on the highway and I begin to air into the engine and it cools down, while still driving, the problem goes away. The reason I won't / can't it back to the dealer is because they told me that they can't drive my car for an hour or so to reproduce the problem, and they basically don't want to accept responsibility for causing the problem either way.

Reply to
Darrick

This doesn't make any sense. You stated the problem occurs as the engine warms up. There is no reason the engine should "cool down" on the highway, unless it is *overheating* in slow traffic, which you did not mention. It's also not clear what you mean by "I begin to air into the engine".

It's sad that you have to do this, but you have to stand up for yourself, and insist the service writer go with you on a short test drive to verify the problem. Or else, simply go away and spend extra money to fix a problem they probably caused.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern