2001 Intrepid Engine or Sensor Problem??

Hi,

I have a 2001 Intrepid that seems to be doing something strange and I was wondering if anyone might know what the problem could be.

My car runs fine until the engine temperature hit right above the second line of the engine temperature gauge. It's almost like clockwork.... the engine begins to stumble as if I put bad gas in the tank, it idles up and down for no reason while driving and while sitting still, it sometimes even stalls out.

If I let me the car cool down it returns to normal but as soon as it gets back to the magic spot on the tempature gauge, the cycle continues.

The funny and interesting thing about this problem is that it seemed to start happening right after I took it in for 60k service, this car is strictly a highway car, back and forth to work 40 miles each way, each day. I would hate to think it was dealer inflicted, but, I'll be damned it I'll take it back to the dealer after spending 1k in service charges just a couple of weeks previous.

Anyone ever experience this or know of anyone who has. Are these signs of a faulty thermostat?

Thanks

Reply to
Darrick

mic canic

Darrick,

In the meantime before you take it back to the dealer, try this. With your engine off, try turning your key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (without starting the engine) in sequence. Watch the odometer display. It is very possible that it could display codes, followed by "done". Any codes will begin with a P. If you get any, please post them here. Unfortunately codes may still be set, even if this process does not display them. (If this method cannot provide any codes, the display will just revert to the odometer. )

Reply to
Greg Houston