2001 Kia Spectra Overheating--Need help with troubleshooting

I have a 2001 Kia Spectra, 1.6 L 4-cyl engine, 55000 miles. It overheats at highway speed ( above 55 MPH) after about 5 to 10 minutes driving. I can stabalize the engine temperature by turning on the heater full blast and hitting the "recirculate air" button. No overheating at idle. Here's what I've checked:

  • No obvious leaks. I added maybe a quart to the radiator before the level came up the cap. I've never opened the cap on this car before so I don't know what the normal level is. Maybe there is a slow leak, but there's nothing dripping.

  • Both fans are working. Both kick on when I turn on the air-conditioner.

  • The top and bottom radiator hoses are both hot after about 10 minutes idle.

  • After about 10 minutes at idle, the fans kick on automatically, and the coolent level in the radiator dropped. This means the thermostat opened, I think.

  • I felt the radiator with my hand and didn't find any cold spots.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe there is a slow leak. If the water pump had failed, I'd see overheating at _any_ speed, right?

If anybody can help, please let me know. Thanks.

-- Rodney Dunning Birmingham, AL

Reply to
Rodney Dunning

If you overheat at idle, but not at highway speed, it is often an indication that your fans are not working.

Conversely, if you overheat at highway speed but not at idle, it tells you that the increased heat generated by the engine is not being adquately removed. And, some of the reasons are: (1) slipping water pump belt, or bad water pump (2) radiator hose on the suction side of the water pump collapsing (3) partially blocked radiator (3a) check for bugs, grass clippings, mud in the radiator, particularly between the A/C condenser coil and the radiator face.. A blocked condensor coil alone will keep air flow from the radiator. (3b) radiator partially blocked internally (4) system not completely filled with coolant. Check radiator expansion cap, fill system properly to exclude air pockets, etc. If the system 'uses' coolant, check for leaks near hoses, at the radiator, from 'freeze' plugs, head gaskets, etc.

A blown head gasket, or cracked head or block will also cause overheating and can, in worst cases, be a bit tough to localize.

I may have missed a few, but this should get you started.

Reply to
<HLS