2002 Acura RSX - drive belt pulley bolt

My son lives in Kentucky and he called me this weekend to see if I had any ideas on freeing up a stuck pulley bolt. He said he has broken two sockets trying to loosen it. I don't know anything about this car but I asked him if he is positive that the threads aren't left-threading and maybe he was tightening the bolt instead of loosening it. Does anybody have any experience with this type of vehicle?

TIA Casey

Reply to
Casey Stamper

If he is talking about the bolt on the crankshaft pulley, it is very tight and not unusual to break non-hardened wrenches on it. The simple solution is to take it someplace where a serious air wrench can be used on it. Failing that, he needs to get a hardened socket, hardened breaker bar and probably a four or five foot piece of pipe to use as an extension on the breaker bar handle & he -might- get it loose before that wrench snaps as well.

Reply to
E. Meyer