3800 RWD Questions

Dollar for dollar, I reluctantly agree (Also a Mopar guy). But cheap isn't everything- pound for pound there are a LOT of better engines.

Reply to
Steve

What is the trany # in the 97-02 Camaro/Firebird. Will it match up with the 3800 supercharged motor? They advertise it on the GM Performace web site as a great engine in a street rod. I can not get any info on what trany they use. DOES ANYONE KNOW?????

Reply to
calee

When the 350 olds diesels were popping left, right, and center.....we offered to install rebuilt 350 gas engines in the trucks if the customer was tired of dealing with the Olds diesels. This was a nice swap, as the engine fit right into place, all the brackets and accessories bolted right up, the only items we had to fab up were some throttle cable and TV cable stuff. We usually got complete 350 gas engines from the wreckers with carb, dist...etc and then just overhauled them.

And yes, I was never a fan of the big block chevy. In the 80's, we were always dealing with scuffed pistons and broken exhaust bolts, warped manifolds...etc.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Still true with the 3800. The 3800 block is built like a freak'n tank. Its like the bean counters never got around to thinning out the casting.

2 bolt main SBC's aren't nearly as tough thats for sure. As for the 60 degree engines (2.8 3.1 etc etc) they look like they were totally designed by bean counters...
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Get the schematics and a big ass dry erase board and goto town figuring out what you can tie into. Keep in mind a FWD 3800 supercharged ECM wont know what a RWD 5-speed Manual is if thats what you intend on using. The FWD auto transaxles and RWD auto transmissions would be "4T65e" vs a "4L60e". Off the top of my head I'm not sure if the electronics are the same or not between those.

Around here I could buy a complete late model F-body car with a 3800 for less than $2000 at a repo auction (with about 100k miles). I'd hate to gut one that isn't wrecked though. I always wanted to take a 3800 f-body car and blend it with a 1956 Thunderbird replicar. Very simular wheel base dimensions between them.

BTW what year is your Mercedes 230 CE?

Wiki has some good info on Buicks v6 here

And here are some RWD kitcars with Supercharged 3800's.
They may have knowledge on wiring Supercharged 3800's together with manual & auto transmissions. And as you can see the intake does run into the cowl...

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville
1985. Four speed manual transmission. No A/C. No cruse. Cloth seats.

Do you know about these cars?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan