'90 240SX Driveline/Clutch Question?

'90 240SX S13 Driveline/Clutch Question?

Hello,

I have a 1990 S13 w/ KA24E engine (4cyl 24V SOHC) and am about to put it's first clutch in this 1-owner, 100K+ mi, garage kept creampuff. Looks to be a straightforward job hopefully w/o 'too' many gotchas but I sure don't appreciate the dealer's anti-rust junk slathered underneath - after 13 yrs it's like cement! Never again will I get a car w/ this.

Anyway as to my question... On the driveshaft - what is the best or recommended point to separate it from the tailshaft of the transmission? It's some sort of 2-piece arrangement w/ a center 'joint' mounted to the chassis. Do I simply unbolt it at the differential, drop the center piece bracket and slide it out of the transmission tailshaft? Appreciate any recommendations from more experienced members as to what to unbolt for ease/convenience etc... (Yes I'll mark it to re-install the same but see below...)

Is the pilot shaft gizmo a 'bearing' or 'bushing' on this car and if it's a bearing is there any trick to getting it out of there? I cannot ever seem to find pullers small enough. Bushings usually come out for me w/ the grease trick.

Is there a seal on the transmission shaft that is recommended to be replaced?

Anything else I should do while I'm putting a clutch kit in?

Any particular brands or kits folks like or warn to avoid? - nothing performance for me - just good OE type new quality is all - maybe Back-Arnley or something similar.

=================

Also, while on the topic of driveshafts - I have noticed a bit of a vibration coming up from the 'middle' of the car more or less including the shifter itself and mostly at highway speeds. Sometimes a subtle thud when engaging the clutch or shifting. Tires are new & balanced.

In most cars I would suspect a failing driveshaft ujoint. However can't notice anything obvious wrong w/ the 1 ujoint at the differential end. I can't tell much of anything on the 'middle' joint or the rubber thing at the tailshaft...?

And the axle half-shafts have CV joints - boots appear to be fine - 'bout all I can tell.

Can that rubber 'joint' be serviced?

What about that middle 'joint' bolted to the chassis?

What about the transmission mount(s)?

The driveshaft itself doesn't show any signs of a balance weight or something coming off and I can't feel any movement or slop other than gear slop itself.

Bottom line is now that I'm under the car - I'm not seeing any obvious or likely culprits for a 'vibration' at cruise or mild 'thunk' when taking up the clutch from a stop or sometimes a shift. I was really expecting a sloppy ujoint. Maybe a worn pilot bearing could account for some of this? There is a bit of slop in the transmission and differential both but not what I would consider out of the ordinary for a 13 year old car like this. Reading thru various FAQs and doing a search on this forum didn't provide any more suggestions... ideas? I'm kinda stumped at this point on possible options here for ferreting out the vibration and minor clunk.

I suppose I could have a driveshaft made - not 'too' expensive that seems pretty drastic for something that I'm not sure 100% is the problem.

Appreciate any input!

thanks,

Reply to
foobar