90 Beretta running rough, picks up speed by itself

I'm at work, wife's at home, so I may revise the diagnosis once I've had a chance to look at the car.

Was running fine as of yesterday... (90 Beretta 3.1 V6, auto.)

Started running rough this morning, check engine light apparently is flashing, and will gradually increase speed if you take your foot off the gas around 30mph, but takes forever to get up to 30mph because it's running so bad.

I'm going to dump the codes, but that sounds like a vacuum leak of some kind, especially because it "just happened."

I don't think the car even made it into closed loop, sounds like it was running for all of 30 seconds before it started to run like this.

Plugs and wires are a couple years old, probably due, but not horribly old. Air filter was done about 3 months ago.

What about ignition coil failure? Would one of them just fail? (It has the pack of three.) Other than an ohmmeter, is there anyway to test them at home?

Reply to
ray

A lot of those older 3.1s would "sneeze" sometimes on shutting down, or if it didn't start on the first try....when they get older, and the vacuum hoses aren't as tight fitting, that sneeze back through the intake will blow them right off...there is a triple hose plug in on top of the intake that likes to blow off and cause exactly what you are talking about...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

jeffcoslacker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.nodomain.com:

and yes, a coil can and will fail all at once robbing 2 cyls. of spark. you can do all the ohm tests you want but they are all without load so MAY not show failure......test to see if you are actually failing load spark and then move coil on module rack to see if failure moves with suspect coil or stays put....modules fail also!......btw: i would retrieve initual codes b4 shitcanning them. all diag. are possibly important.........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

and that's exactly what it was. popped right back on. and yeah, it no longer fits very snug. wonder how many billions the dealer will want for a new one.

I'm impressed... you nailed it. :)

Ray

Reply to
ray