'97 Monte Carlo clicking in dash/ faulty brakes....any help?

I have a '97 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that has a clicking ABS pump and weak brakes that really make it unsafe to drive. In researching this problem around the internet I've found that other people's posts stating they've had this same problem, though no one seems to know enough exactly about what's really going on here. Needless to say there haven't been many reply's to these posts. Some people say the clicking is in their dash, which is understandable, though in reality it's the ABS pump.

My mechanic and I have replaced the pump, as well as the EBCM(no codes stored) but still have made no headway. We speculate that this may also have happened/be happening on other GM models around the '95-'97 range. Anyone out there familiar with this issue? Please help.

Reply to
Steve

HI Jeff, Thanks for your reply! Yes, we've replaced the relay and addressed any other faulty electrical issues, fuses, grounds etc. The clicking/cycling from the ABS pump only comes when applying the brakes and is not an "all the time" thing. So we're both kind of at an impass, not knowing what to do. The controle module replacement was, what he said, the EBCM(elctronic brake control module), and I hear ya just the same. He likes to poke around in the local junkyard and just thought of picking another one up cheap.He's a semi-retired older guy, about 70.

He also went out to the dealer, whos only help was lending us huge manual whereby we copied out the 46 page chapter on trouble shooting ABS systems, which havent really helped out at all. So Im left to scour the internet hoping to come across someone whos already gone down this road. Have seen a couple of posts, but no definitive answers. We're going to start checking the wheel speed sensors next. More later.

Reply to
sandyshores

LOL! Sorry...I thought that was a typo for ECM...not used to seeing it abbrieviated that way. Try posting it over here:

I know we've seen the problem before, but I can't remember what the resolution was...but there's a few GM techs that post often, might be able to shed some light...it's alright it's a Lumina forum...we won't bite....:evillol:

Reply to
jeffcoslacker