A/C on 98 civic broke

Hi,

The air conditioning on my 98 civic broke about a week ago, now it just blows warm air. I live in Houston so I want to fix this soon (I hope it doesn't harm the engine any driving in hot weather without A/ C).

Is there any way I can determine what's wrong by myself, and fix it by myself, or should I just take it to a shop, would it be a lot of hassle to fix? Any ideas on what's likely to be wrong -- how can i check (describe what things look like if you can please, not familiar with car parts). How much can i expect to pay?

Thanks

Reply to
alexr

alexr schrieb:

It's the opposite. Driving in hot weather without A/C is less arduously for the engine.

What you can do is check fuses and maybe connections to the A/C compressor. But with the last be careful under running engine!

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

It could be a simple electrical issue such as a blown fuse but that is unlikely. Check the fuses for the A/C before taking it in though.

The A/C system isn't where you want to start learning about cars. Take it to your trusted mechanic and see what is going on. Once you have a diagnosis bring it and the estimate back to the group and we can give you an idea of whether the price is fair or not. At this point the best I can tell you is that the repair will run somewhere between $50 and $1000.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

No, it's the best thing you can do for your engine. The AC puts a huge load on the engine, especially in hot weather.

This is the most open-ended question imaginable. All KINDS of things could be wrong. Maybe you have a blown fuse, maybe the compressor is shot. I'd first look and make sure the compressor is turning when you turn the AC on, of course. If the compressor isn't engaging at all, you have an electrical issue. If the compressor is engaging, you have a mechanical issue. Almost certainly if you have not been doing regular AC service, you will need the system to be recharged, but that may not be the whole problem.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey