All-electric vehicles

Awl--

Apropos of the diesel generator discussion in How Airtight is a cylinder, I googled All electric vehicles, and found only one viable source, Zenn. Viable = a car that can be 1. practically driven and 2. legally registered).

The Zenn is $12-$15K, legal in most states, albeit as a limited purpose vehicle, for low-speed roads, under 35 mph in NYS. Also has a crappy range,

30-50 mi. But workable for short commutes, shopping, etc. Uses regular lead acid batteries (six), to power 72 V motors. Looks like my Honda Fit, but half the weight, at about 1200 lbs.

Various sites talk about the video/doc Who killed the Electric Car, meaning, it IS viable, even *ready*, the oil shitheads just don't want it. Any opinions? Any leads on other viable all-electrics?

Apropos of diesel electrics:

For backup power: If only the rear wheels were powered, I figger 10 hp on each rear wheel on a 1200 lb car is good for 20-40 mph. At 72 V, that's about 100 amps per wheel, about 14 kW total.

Harbor Freight has a 15kW generator for about $2200, at 450 #. And that's retail price. Automakers ought to be able to put something in, considerably cheaper/lighter.

Seems to me, for utilitarian-type vehicles, this is most of the solution: All electric, lightweight, super-simple (no transmission/mechanical linkage w/ pure generator), with a cheap reliable gas backup, so you never get stranded, simple battery technology, ekc, ekc. Plus solar charging. The 1992 Mazda 929's had solar stuff built in to the sunroof.

Heat-A/C would seem to be workable as well, with good batteries. Small A/Cs are about 600 watts.

Other sites, I think the ZAP car, has electrics w/ 0-60s of 3-4 seconds. Very expensive stuff. One car was over $300K.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Could be the very expensive electrics are from ETS. Zapp might make a little electric pickup. You lose track, after a while. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®