Anyone ever redrill a Fuchs wheel?

Have a chance to buy some Fuchs replicas (typical Porsche 5-spoke, black centers) for an excellent price, was thinking they would look awesome on my '55 coupe. (of course I already have two sets of wheels, but that's irrelevant.) Problem is my car is 5 on

4.5" (114.3mm) and Porsche uses 5 on 130mm. Has anyone tried to have the bolt pattern either welded up and redrilled, or else unilugged? Or is this simply impossible because the holes are too close to the center of the wheel? I do have good wheel shops nearby; if this is possible I bet they could do it.

Hubcentricity is not an issue, as the stock Stude wheels weren't, either.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'd look for an adapter, although I don't like them...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I don't think that's possible, the car in question is pushing the limits of fenderwell space with a 15x7" wheel, and the offset of the Fuchs is about the same as the wheels I'm currently using. (stock wheels are 15x5" for 6.70-15 tires; they didn't anticipate someone would try to stuff 235s under the front of the car 55 years ago! )

Now I probably could use adapters to fit *later* Porsche wheels with a

58mm offset... but they wouldn't be Fuchs, which is really the look I'm going for (black centers, polished alloy lip, lots of lip showing outside the centers for that badass deep dish look)

I do have a set of 15x6" Halibrand 5-spokes that I could repaint (but they're practically brand new!) but I just thought that Fuchs would give the car that "what the heck is THAT? that's cool!" effect.

nate

Reply to
N8N

These?

Wasn't Fuchs a motorcycle manufacturer?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Wasen't there a woman by the name of Norma Fuchs,,, something to do with World War Two era? Maybe I am thinking of something else.The Fuchs name seems familiar though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Fuchs Silkolene Lubricants and Oils. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Maybe Klaus?

George

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

Chip Foose from "Overhauling" maybe? They *do* sound alike.

fred

It can be done by a machinist with the use of an index head. The main concern would be the integrity of the weld and wheel after welding.

Reply to
tnom

Fuchs is a fairly common German last name. It was also a class of tank. It means 'fox'.

M.M.

well it's academic now... wheels are sold. I figured a $200 set of Fuchs wouldn't last long. For the price I was willing to try if it was possible, but my real concern was that the holes would be physically within the space occupied by the protrusion for the center of the wheel. Still don't know if it would work or not...

nate

Reply to
N8N