05 Neon Stalling

I would like to know if anyone in the group has any experience with Dodge/Mopar products that utilize the "SKIF" anti-theft system. The problem that I'm working with for my 2005 Dodge Neon SXT may, or may not be, related to the SKIF system. The Neon will intermittently stall after various driving conditions. The stalling never requires a restart and often resolves itself before the car comes to a complete stop. I've replaced the cam sensor after a false code appeared and I've replaced the fuel pump as the problem mimics a fuel starvation problem. My posting here is asking for experience with the security system and the role the key and/or fob plays into intermittent drive ability conditions. From what I've read so far, the SKIF system should either shut the engine down or allow it to run continuously. There doesn't seem to be any information about if the chip in the key and the SKIF system losing communications during normal driving conditions. This car was bought from a dealer that provided an aftermarket key and no fob. The car ran fine until I purchased a fob from a Dodge dealer and had the fob programmed into the PCM. If this problem is somehow related to the SKIF system, is it possible to disable it? I really don't care about the anti-theft system as car theft in our area is rare.

Any solutions that the group can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Dale

My mother has a 2005 Dodge SX (what they called the Neon in Canada) that ended up with a new PCM after it started randomly stalling and/or going into "limp home mode."

When it would go into limp home mode it (according to her) the car felt like it was running out of gas - top speed was about 20 mph.

It doesn't have any kind of factory anti-theft system that I'm aware of

- it's pretty much a base model.

I didn't actually touch the car - it was covered under an extended warranty, but this sounds similar.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Thanks for the input Ray. I hope that isn't the case here. Do you know if the car was displaying codes when it malfunctioned? The worst case possible is the PCM that fails intermittently without triggering the OBD or gives false codes that point to sensors and subsystems that function correctly..

Reply to
Dale

It never displayed any codes. I asked her about it, and the car would just cut out when coming to a stop like you had shut the ignition off. Then when she restarted it it would be in "limp home mode" for a while and then if she restarted it again it would be back to normal - of course by then she'd be at the dealers. Eventually it died and wouldn't even turn over, just "click" - they towed it and diagnosed the bad PCM.

Ray

Reply to
ray