auto transmission problem

i have a toyota corona AT170, 1991 model with automatic transmission. Around one year back, it had a problem where, when put to the reverse gear, took around one minute to actually move back. This was repaired by replacing some rubber rings and metal plates inside the gearbox. After this repair, the reverse problem was solved, but slippage between wheels and engine increased considerably. Now engine shows an RPM of around 2500 for low vehicle speeds like 20-30 km/h. Along with this, the fuel consumption has dropped significantly to around 5.5 Km per liter. does any one has an idea about the cause? if so, is it easily repairable or should i consider fitting a new gearbox?

thanks

Reply to
e2point

you don't want to spend much on a 1991. isn't that getting pretty old. maybe if you can get a tranny from a auto wrecker for $200 or $300.00. Other that that I would just drive the to the wrecker and take the the $75.00 they likely would offer. Make some phone calls and see what you can come up with. I would say that if the total repair bill is going to over $500.00 then get another car. but i guess you can decide for yourself.

Reply to
boxing

are u asking me to sell it for $75? In my country this car sells at $8500 and a new BMW sells at $100000.

Reply to
CMOS

$75 seems about fair for a car that doesn't run properly and has a ruined transmission.

The car that sells at $8500 is probably not one with a bad transmission.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

How many of your dollars do you have to spend to get one of our dollars?

Reply to
E Meyer

Then it is worth fixing for sure. The last place didn't fix it by the sounds of it. Any warranty on the so called repair? If not find a better shop and get a real rebuild or find a runner and swap trannys.

Here in Canada if any are even left on the road that old, they are $50.00 beaters, normally with a terminal case of rust.

Over here once the warranty runs out, BMW's are junk because no one can afford to fix them so they sell really cheap too. $600.00 for a muffler that rots out every couple years gets hard to take...

We just picked up an unusual one, a 1990 Cutlass Ciera in mint shape. My wife had to basically force the little old lady (a friend of hers from work) to take $100.00 for it, she would have been happy with the $50.00 the wrecker would give her.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Wow! Sounds like a money making opportunity. I wonder what I could get for my 1992 Grand Am? It has has not had reverse for two years but otherwise is in great shape.

Reply to
Paul

A rebuilt gearbox would be a much better idea than brand new from the factory.

Reply to
John S.

not at all. cars with this kind of problems goes at around $7500.

the prices indicated are in your dollars. in my currency the cost is around 850 000 and a new BMW costs around

10,000,000. (in this country normal cost of a good house with 3000 sq.feet is around 8,000,000)

definitely around $400000.

Reply to
e2point

sorry it should be $4000

Reply to
e2point

| Over here once the warranty runs out, BMW's are junk

slightly same in Msia ; BMW parts are too costly

Reply to
TE Chea