Automatic Transmission repair question

My wife has a 1990 S-10, automatic, 2wd, 4.something liter V-6, over

200,000 miles.. A few days ago, she told me she had transmission problems--I drove it, and found that when it was time to go into third, it would almost disconnect, and you'd need to race the engine fairly severely to get any speed at all--you'd get more speed with fewer RPM by switching manually to second. Trans fluid was below the dipstick, took 4 quarts (taken in park with engine running) to get to the low end of "ok" range. problems continued after filling. She drove home racing in third rather than downshifting to second.

Is there any realistic chance that this can be fixed for under $500?

Reply to
djohnson64

Not likely. When you say you have to race the engine to get speed, it makes me believe the clutches are burned out of it. With that many miles, there will be other parts worn or deteriorated most likely. This signals a teardown and rebuild.

You are likely looking at $1000-$2000

Reply to
<HLS

time for a new trans.

Reply to
jfrancis311

Not a realistic chance. It sounds like the direct clutch, a holding device that's critical for 3rd gear, has a bad piston seal(s). If this is true, the overhaul cost would be cheap. If you haven't broken any hard parts like the sun gear/shell, then your 700R4 trans has led a good life. Even so, a seals and frictions overhaul with removal and installation would be probably $1000 on the low side for a decent mechanic to do it. This is basically a wild off the cuff guess, but more realistic than $500.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

with 200,000 miles on the truck, it might be cheaper to get a used trans.

Reply to
jfrancis311

More likely get a different used truck...The reason for the $500 cutoff was because it doesn't make sense to spend more on a repair than the vehicle will be worth after the repair is finished. We paid $600 for it last year as a temporary emergency replacment, but my wife likes it ragged as it is, and we never got around to shopping for something better.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
djohnson64