Re: Manual or Automatic Transmission? Would you compromise?

I expect it depends on your circumstances. I bought my '81 brand-new and wanted a manual. I was much younger and the traffic wasn't much back then. Now I'm 22yrs older and the traffic is grid-lock. NOW I'm wanting an automatic in the truck, but only because of the traffic situation! lol

DS

Reply to
putt

silverfox

I would much rather have a manual transmission, even in a Cadillac. But the dealers are telling you the truth. They might talk YOU and ME into buying an automatic, but they sure can't talk anybody into buying a manual. People who told you they wanted an automatic but couldn't find one don't live on this planet.

My dad ordered a super duty crew cab lariat with gas and manual tranny. It must be one out of a 100 at least.

Reply to
Joe

I can't stand automatics. And I can't stand dealers that give me an attitude when I tell them I want a manual. I've never bought a car worrying about resale value because I've never sold a vehicle with less than 180,000 miles on it.

But I gotta tell you I don't do a lot of towing with my truck, and not a lot of heavy towing. That would probably do a lot to change my preference.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Zweifel

Reply to
Jim K

Also, automatics are more costly to repair.

I have an 89 Ford Ranger 2.3L 5 speed. Had it since new and now with about 118000 miles. I replaced the clutch around 100,000.

If I can get another 100,000 out of it I will be thrilled!

There is nothing like driving an older well maintained vehicle. Property taxes are vitrually nil. No monthly payments, Insurance at a minimum, It still drives well, looks ok, and well it gets me where I want to go.

If my transmission blows, then I can replace it for well under a grande. And I probably will.

Once my truck is 20 yr old, then I am considering buying another one. I figure that I really got my moneys worth out of it. Probably will give it to my grandson. LOL!

Reply to
S SAM

I bought my Dodge Cummins w/5sp 10 yrs ago this month. Wife has never drove it. I can't imagine an auto in any of my future PU's. :-)

Reply to
LKing37516

And lo, it came about, that on 09 Aug 2003 15:09:22 GMT in alt.trucks.ford , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (LKing37516) was inspired to utter:

Control. Shifting the gears when I want them to, rather than because some relay thinks "now is the time to shift". Downshift in an slushbox and it is anyone's guess. Besides, how can one learn to be Double clutching gear jammer with a slushbox?

Don't forget the better millage in a stick.

pyotr filipivich What is normal? "Two sigmas either side of mu. You bring the cow." drieux.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Dunno, I suspect it has more to do with the trucks the dealers order more than anything. I'm sure they order the vast majority "90+??" with auto's, and if you come along and rock the boat, that means they have to order it, or do a swap. They would rather unload the auto truck that is sitting on the lot. As far as choice, I like certain aspects of both. A manual gives you more control, and is more efficient. You can easily push start a manual. Good for boonie use. In the case of mine, "warner T-18", the dang thing is nearly bulletproof. I have a granny gear, and can drive uphill idling, or rip medium size trees from the ground. :/ I'd trade the granny gear for an O/D in a second though... Downside? Clutch or release bearing problems, replacements, and as one said, in heavy traffic, you are shifting all the time. An auto has a bit more slippage, less control unless manually shifted. But no shifting, no clutch replacements, better for towing heavy loads like RV's, and usually good life with little upkeep needed except filter/fluid changes. If you want an auto to live to be ripe, keep it cool. Get a temp gauge rigged up, and use outboard cooling if needed. For me it's a hard decision, but if I bought a new truck, it would probably be an auto/od. I would not buy anything new that didn't have an O/D actually...If I got a manual, it would have to have an O/D. So it would probably be a 5 speed. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

And lo, it came about, that on Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:55:32 GMT in alt.trucks.ford , Rowbotth was inspired to utter:

Yeah, knowwhatyamean. Buddy's truck "broke" the other day. His Mom comes with the trailer and we tow his truck on the trailer. He reminds Mom that there is a button to push on the shift lever to put the tranny in "tow mode". Meaning it revs a bit higher before shifting. It also had a neat readout of the instantaneous mpg. Truck got between 4 and 51 mpg, depending on whether we were accelerating up the on ramp, or coasting towards a stop light.

I've heard good things about the "new" automatic manual transmissions. Uses a regular gearbox, but had the stick "automated" to make the shifts for you, once you get it rolling. I'm still a little on the "Oh great, a robot does the shifting for me." side, but ...

There is that. Shifting by hand does keep you "connected" to the driving process. Besides, if you can't downshift in a corner while holding a cigarette & a beer, you really aren't a driver, just an operator.

pyotr filipivich We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy, back when snakes wore shoes and dirt was $2 a pound, if you could find it. We had to make our own from rocks!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Actually, with most newer cars that's not much of a problem. VW's will idle at 10kph in first and 20kph in second dead nuts on, uphill or down. It's kind of nice in heavy traffic, as nice as heavy traffic can get, I guess.

Reply to
Tom Zweifel

One thing noone has mentioned is buying secondhand. A vehicle with a clutch is about ten times as risky as an auto.

Reply to
ken kerrison

Oh, it's no problem if the traffic doesn't stop, but here in Houston, many times it's stop and go even on the freeway in rush hour or wrecks. IE: travel 20 ft at 8 mph, and then stop, wait 6-10 or more seconds, and over and over and over again until you are out of the bad traffic. I usually go to neutral at the stops unless I know it's not going to last long. I can idle very very slow in 1st. Probably slower than normal walking speed. Of course, in normal driving I always start in 2nd. I can idle 5-10 mph in 2nd. An auto is the only way to live in that kind of traffic, unless you like the leg and arm excercise. :/ MK

Reply to
Mark Keith