Best way to remove egg

Hey All,

When I returned from a two week vacation, some thundercat threw and egg and hit my 1994 Cadillac SLS in the left rear door. I usually wax this car every year before vacation but figured I'd do it when I got back so there's basically no wax on the paint. I tried to wash it off with a sponge and warm, soapy (dish soap) detergent and no luck. I then tried Meguiars original cleaner/wax and that maybe removed 5% of the small spots. Then I tried goof off and that didn't do much either. After that I tried Mothers Clay Bar and that did nothing. The egg has been on there less than two weeks but it's in full sun and is very crusty. It looks horrible and I am curious if there's anything I can do to remove the egg residue while minimized damage to the paint.

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
genius

Me too, Halloween 2009. Copious amounts of hot water. It will take a few minutes to loosen and dissolve so keep at it. Use a soft cloth and gloves. Mechanical methods (scraper, polishes etc) will damage your paint before that egg moves.

Reply to
AMuzi

You might try "Fast Orange" hand cleaner. I use it to remove oil stain and different paints from my hands as I don't use gloves in my work shop. Even after some paints have dried. It will not hurt the car finish. Can buy it at car parts stores or WalMart. WW

Reply to
WW

genius wrote in news:0713c939-cb54-4af1-876b- snipped-for-privacy@g13g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

Lucky you! Egg yolk proteins are /extremely/ tough to remove once dried.

Firstly: ** DO NOT SCRUB **. You WILL damage the paint!

Secondly: The key here is to get the yolk soaking-wet, and keep it that way for several days, after which it will come off with lots of water, dish detergent and gentle agitation with a soft dishcloth. If that side of the car is in full-sun, park the car the other way. Soak a rag in water and lay it on the egg. Re-wet as needed. Cover the rag with Saran or other plastic film. This will help hold-in the moisture.

Good luck.

Reply to
Tegger

In Atlanta a 17 year old guy was shot dead after egging a guy's Mercedes Benz.The article is at World Net Daily. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I'm glad I didn't see the jerkoff who egged me this Halloween or the outcome might have been similar.

I was traveling when I got one egg on the plastic front of my Town&Country. I was several miles from home so the egg was quite dry when I cleaned it off. But it soaked off just fine with plain water, no permanent damage that I could see. I suspect that dry egg is bad but that having the dry egg on for several hours or more is worse. Perhaps a chemical reaction with the paint?

Reply to
AJL

Maybe ask what a car detail shop would do? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ya know, I was a detailer for a Toyota dealer, and I honestly can't think of how I'd remove dried on egg...

I might try something like 3M Fill n Glaze (no longer available...if you can find it, BUY IT!) or it's replacement, Micro Finish. It's meant for machine application, but can be used by hand.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

This works. (at least it did for me many years ago).

Thick plastic wrap, duct tape loosely over egg, leave top open. Fill with about a 1 percent mix of liquid laundry soap (about 1 ounce to a gallon) and hot water. Seal top edge, poke a couple of pinholes in plastic at top to relieve pressure, hang a dark towel over this and park in sun. Remove and soft sponge egg residue and repeat whole procedure every few hours. Took me 4 times with week old egg.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Here are 3 good methods, 2 require buying product:

If you want to save money: Park car in shade. Put a fair amount of lard or salt free margarine on soft, thick cloth that is large enough to cover area affected, or you'll have to do bits at a time. Put lard/margarine side of cloth of affected area. Take regular household hair drier (not heat gun) and on medium heat setting heat the cloth until you see lard/margarine running. Wipe immediately with a clean soft cloth. Should wipe away chunky. You have to wipe while lard/margerine is hot or it doesn't work.

Search Google, there are literally thousands of links with different ideas and suggestions, but the ehow site is almost always the cream of the crop.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars