detailing black sube

i just bought a used black sube legacy 2.5gt awd sedan. black gets dirty really quickly so i figured i better get used to cleaning the exterior. im wondering what is suggested for subaru's specifically with their clearcoats and all, and even more what works well for the color black. as far as i know i should be using a washing solution, polish, wax, and instant detail spray in between - all being applied and dried with terry cloth and the pva quick dry cloths. as far as brands i have meguiars gold class wash, nu finish soft paste polish, mothers california gold orig form carnauba cleaner wax and meguairs quick detailer mist and wipe. anyone have experience with black subes? the car is a 99 so im thinking that the wax SHOULD have some abrasives in it to get grime off, the opposite case of waxing a brand new car. id also appreciate techniques and such. oh yeah, whats the deal with clay bars? thanks so much

Reply to
DOA

First go get a plastic sandwich bag or cellophane cigarette wrapper (if you smoke) Put your fingers in it and lightly drag it across the surface of your paint. Do this after you've washed and dried it. Does it feel scratchy? If yes then you'll need to use clay. Otherwise Polish it and wax it. Look at the paint how is it? Is there spiderwebbing in the paint (tiny scratches) etc?

So what's the deal with clay? Well it's not new body shops having been using it for a long time to remove overspray. It's used to remove embedded contaniments (sic) from the paint. That rough feeling you felt with the sandwich bag is embedded contaniments.

I've tried both Meguiar's and Clay Magic. I prefer the latter. The Meguiar's tended to stick and leave residue. The car needs to be cool and in the shade otherwise the clay will stick.

Take a look at my post from a couple days ago with the link to Vladimir's detailing guide. It's very good and explains it all.

When restoring a finish you always want to start with the least abrasive method first and gradually get more abrasive if needed.

Products I use from Most abrasive to Least

2000 Grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper - remove deep scratches 3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound, Fine Cut, 39002 - remove 2000 grit sanding haze Car Brite Cuttig Glaze -remove rubbing compound haze Meguiar's ScratchX - remove light scratches Meguiar's Clear Coat Prep - After Claying before I polish

Products with 'No Cut' Meguiar's Polish - Give the paint the deep shine Meguiar's Gold Class Wax - Protect the finish

If there's a Target store around you get you Meguiar's Gold Class soap there. They run deals for $9.99 for the big

64oz bottle (Big-Big bottle)

I bought a Porter-Cable DA Polisher from CoastalTool ($119) a few years back I highly recommend it for when you do a 'complete' clean or paint repair. They have the best deal as you get a velcro backing pad with it.

Reply to
null

Reply to
null

I would like to suggest you try Buffalo Milke instant spray wax. It's a cleaner, detailer and wax all in one. You'll do your car in 20-25 minutes with NO s**te residue to clean off the black trim or around chrome. Works great on chrome, plastic, glass etc. It loves BLACK! You can still prep your car with the clay and everything else but use the Buffalo Milke for final waxing. It does not build up like carnuba wax and actually let the paint breathe.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler