Brake crunching sound

My wife brought her 2002 Lancer Mitsubishi car into a franchise tire & brake shop back in April and got some new tires and a wheel alignment. A couple of months later I was driving her car on the freeway and I felt it pulling hard to the right. I wasn't happy with the alignment.

When she braked, at the end of June, there was a squeek sound so she took it back to the same shop. I wasn't too happy about that, but it's her car. Her car has about 90K miles and I think this may be the first time they've needed service.

After they did the brake job they told us it takes about 1000 miles to break the brakes in so it might be tight and there might be noises but everything would be cook.

Two days later, after the first time they did the brake job, we drove

120 miles. On the driver side there was a squeeking sound. By the end of the drive I was tired of hearing the continual squeel and squeek. It was kind of loud.

So we took it back in and they put on new pads. The guy that did the first job said the had put on the wrong sized pad on the first run. The squeek/squeel went away but we inherited the "crunching" sound when we braked.

We took it back again to get rid of the crunch sound. Supposedly fixed. Not really tho. So today we took it back in. Just got a call from the mgr that they did a complete brake job, rotors turned, new pads, the works. But he said the sound was still there. One of the guys there thought it might be the drive train.

This car ran perfectly, except for the initial squeeking that prompted her to bring the car in, prior to bringing it to the shop.

The sound only occurs when braking. The sound is similar to the sound you'd expect if you stopped a metal object and the stuff in the back all slid forward to the front. A crunching or grinding sound. We can get the sound by just going a few mph and then stopping.

I went to google and searched for Lancer Mitusbish 2002 Brakes and got a site with TSBs. There was this one but I don't know what it means. "2002 Mitsubishi LANCER 02 - Hydraulic Brake > SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC [Part 030000 ] TSB No: 0335003 NHTSA ID: , November 01, 2003 : Replacement: Summary: clicking, squealing, or groaning noise when braking. *ph"

Any ideas what could be causing the sound? I'd sure like to get this fixed.

Reply to
Salad

===== =====

"Most" independent and franchise shops perform FREE brake inspections. Go get another point of view. Don't complain about the other shop, jest let them know what the problem is..go for a ride with the Tech so he can hear what YOU're hearing. Explain the squeal was the reason for having the first brake job, but now after returning 3 or 4 times, you're willing to absorb ANY cost to have THIS symptom rectified. DO NOT LAMBAST THE OTHER SHOP !!! Don't go in giving the impression you're "one of those" that can't be satisified, jest be nice, get your FREE second opinion.

or........

tell me to kissyerass and that I didn't directly address your question......and I'll GUESS......jest like everyone else if fix'n to do, I don't mind at all.

Matter of fact..here...let me have the first guess aye......

Hub bearings.

there...no charge!!

:)

MarshMonster ~auto tech~ ~takes a toke....sips his shroom juice.........mmmm.... good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Try a different brand of brake pad. Some are quieter than others.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I checked that TSB for you on alldata, and it addresses a "clicking" and a "groaning" noise. According to the TSB, if you are experiencing the click while braking, you are to install updated rubber coated shims, part # MN116605. If you are experiencing the 'groan', you are to replace the pads with an updated set, part # MN116604. These are factory parts, of course. Hope this helps.

Reply to
qslim

SNIP

Just a suggestion, but I was puzzled when experiencing a similar sound with one side of the front brakes on my Nissan van. Most noticeable when braking at low speed and sounds like grinding two bits of metal together.

I dismantled the disk brakes on that side expecting to find some grit or something embedded in the pads, but couldn't find anything wrong. Reassembled and tested - the noise was still there. Dismantled again and looked more closely and noticed there was a "witness mark" where the end of the hydraulic piston thrusts on the shim plate at the back of the brake pad. It looked as though the two parts had been fretting together. There was also some sign of some kind of lubricant that had once been applied.

I put a smear of high temperature grease on the area where the witness mark was and reassembled the brakes. Sure enough, the noise was gone.

The cure lasted about a year, then I had to do it again.

May not be relevant to your problem, but worth a look. Dismantling front disc brakes is usually fairly easy and can be done without having to disconnect any hydraulic connections (but I guess it depends on the model of vehicle)

Cheers,

John S

Reply to
John S

Thanks all for your reponses. We took the car back 1 more time and this time they called Mitubishi and talked to their techs and now it is not a problem. Don't know what they did but I wouldn't understand it even if they told me.

You guys are a great group.

Reply to
Salad