Brakes crunching - ABS?

Hi,

My '95 Outback has about 90K miles on it, and I had my rear brakes fixed about 6 months ago (pads and rotors, I think). Sometime after this repair, the brakes started making a crunching sound under just about any circumstance. It doesn't always happen, but it's frequent; probably more often than not when I step on the brakes I hear the crunching as the car comes to a stop.

It sounds to me like the sound is coming from the front. When I had the rear brakes done, the mechanic warned me that the front brakes were getting worn and would need replacement soon. I figured that was the source of the noise, so I had the front brakes done about a month ago. The crunching has not stopped, however.

I'm thinking maybe the ABS is engaging when it shouldn't. The crunching happens on any kind of pavement, any weather, at even low speeds. I can't be sure it started when I had the rear brakes done, but it was around the same time.

Could a brake job have screwed up the ABS sensors somehow? Is there a way I can confirm whether this is an ABS problem? Is there a more likely cause? Thx!

Reply to
Jerry

ABS engaging feels like rollerskates on gravel on your foot, or driving over one of those "rumble strips". The pedal actually vibrates. It's pretty alarming the first time it happens...so it is distinct.

If you are hearing "crunching" like metal grinding noises I'd say you still have something wrong with the breaks in general, not the ABS.

Usually the ABS will report an error to the computer, you could check for codes.

Reply to
Ratatooie

Sometimes a bad wheel bearing will have that type of noise - especially at low speeds. Though usually its more like a squaky leather shoe almost, and a whine at high speeds. Could also be a suspension component I guess. try bouncy the car up and down at each corner.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I had this on my 95 wagon w/ABS. I put on two new front rotors and solved the problem.

Reply to
John