broken lip on harmonic balancer - fixable?

I did something really stupid trying to remove a harmonic balancer -- used a couple scrap bolts in the pulley bolt holes held in place by a pry bar while I torqued on the balancer bolt. Unfortunately, the pry bar was in a little too close to the balancer and caught the lip that exetends out around the center hole (which fits just inside the pulley, or rather, the pulley fits over this lip), with the result that about a 1-inch section of the lip is now chippped out. So, I'm thinking on Monday that I might ask a machine shop if they can blend in the chip so it doesn't crack, and then grind out a matching notch on the opposite side to keep it balanced. Any thoughts on the risk of doing this? Or will I have to search for a new balancer? It's on a '78 ford LTD with the 400.

Thanks and Best Regards, Jeff "DIY = Destroy it Yourself" Buckles Aloha, OR, where I'm going to rent an impact wrench tomorrow.

Reply to
Jeff Buckles

I would head to the junkyard, or see if I couldn't find something aftermarket.

Reply to
Larry Smith

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's what I'm visualizing, it's pretty small in diameter relative to the OD, where all the balancing weight is. I bet you can put that motor back together and you won't notice any imbalance. You do know there are aftermarket HBs available for Dorman and others?

On 3 Aug 2003 23:22:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeff Buckles) wrote:

|"Larry Smith" wrote in message news:... |> I would head to the junkyard, or see if I couldn't find something |> aftermarket. | |Unfortunately, nearly all of the wrecking yards in this area (even the |DIY yards) have few cars older than ten years. It may be hard to |find locally -- I'll be able to find out when the yards open tomorrow; |that's why I would even consider trying to repair it first. | |Thanks and Best Regards, |Jeff "DIY = Destroy it Yourself" Buckles |Aloha, OR, where I rented an impact wrench and it | took about eight seconds to remove the bolt....

Reply to
Rex B