Car failed Aircare and I need to know if this sensor..

Car failed Aircare and I need to know if this sensor might be responsible, it's at the back of the throttle body manifold and it seem to pick up the coolant temp. The car failed with high hydrocarbons. The reason I think it may be this sensor is because about

6 months ago the engine started idling fast like it would when you first start it up and it's cold. I'm thinking that this sensor might somehow not be signalling the mgmt system that the car is hot thereby acting like a choke and seding a lean fuel mixture through the system. I'm thinking if the engine is running lean that might cause it to fail aircare.

1992 Suzuki Swift 1.3 SOHC, 197,000 Km HC reading .5476 allowed .50 = fail CO reading 7.14 allowed 9.32 = pass NOX reading .8574 allowed 1.24 = pass

Here's some pictures of the sensor, I'm not sure of what it's called.

Thanks Sid

Reply to
Sid Daley

If that's the thermostat housing there on the right, I'd guess that is the coolant temperature sensor. If it's indicating colder than actual coolant temperature it will cause the engine to run too rich with excess emissions. You'd have to measure the resistance and compare with the specs for resistance vs. temperature.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Their is a smaller sensor next to this one with a wire lead, that must be it.

SD

Reply to
Sid Daley

Thanks Robert, appreciate the tip on how to test it. The mfgr says it can't be tested..

SD

Reply to
Sid Daley

The sensor above is a thermovalve by the looks of it. If, for instance, it dies and air is let pass then you'll have a lean mix if someone adjust the idle down. I bet you can check this sensor by boiling it in hot water and make sure it closes/open.

Reply to
Tibur Waltson